The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   harness care (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/harness-care-40011/)

jimmy 11-07-2009 02:54 PM

harness care

well i,ve always cleaned my harness sets with linseed oil but from what i,ve been reading on horse forum i should,ent so what does everyone else think i know abou saddle soap bu what else can you use

3neighs 11-07-2009 04:43 PM

I've used Murphy's oil soap.

lillie 11-08-2009 04:40 AM

yes, i would like to know the answer to this too-i have just used something the saddler recomended called effax. to clean and soften some old harness i bought at a sale. saddlers said it was the best for the leather - its ok, but stinks very perfumey. and i didnt think it put much of a shine . i just ussally use kaochline (?) yellow tin with horse and cart on it when it needs a soften, and saddle soap the rest of the time. have just restored an old dome topped carriage trunk, and i used cheap old vegetable oil on it from tesco- it came up a treatand softened the leather really well, but thats just ornamental use- i dont know if it would rot the leather or stitches in harness? someone else might know about veg. oil please?

LauraB 11-08-2009 07:22 PM

A product called Harness Honey is great.

Harness Honey Leather Conditioner

jimmy 11-09-2009 05:30 AM

just thought [yeh my heads hurting]do you think that harness once cleaned but rarely used would stay mold free if wrapped in clingfilm,im thinking of soft heavy collars which i onl use a couple of weeks a year the rest of the time they are in abag in garage

Nutty Saddler 11-09-2009 08:36 AM

Use glycerine saddle soap to clean your leather - then re nourish with a leather dressing. Ko-cho-line is very good as is the Sedgewicks dressing.

If you warm the dressing up before rubbing in this will help.

I wouldn't advise wrapping any leather up in clingfilm as it should be allowed to breathe - if you can , get a grain sack ( not plastic ) from a feed store and put your harness in there. I keep mine in an old suitcase - not only does it keep it in good condition but I don't have to worry about any rodents eating it whilst I'm not using it, and it keeps most of the moisture out so mine doesn't go mouldy.

jimmy 11-09-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutty Saddler (Post 455389)
Use glycerine saddle soap to clean your leather - then re nourish with a leather dressing. Ko-cho-line is very good as is the Sedgewicks dressing.

If you warm the dressing up before rubbing in this will help.

I wouldn't advise wrapping any leather up in clingfilm as it should be allowed to breathe - if you can , get a grain sack ( not plastic ) from a feed store and put your harness in there. I keep mine in an old suitcase - not only does it keep it in good condition but I don't have to worry about any rodents eating it whilst I'm not using it, and it keeps most of the moisture out so mine doesn't go mouldy.

thanks nutty saddler,i thought about the breathin aspeect after i had posted and i,ve gone and bought the ko chi line yellow can wth a pic of a man driving 2 horses expensive foor a small tin 4.75p but i,m not bothered if its good gear the suit case idea is a good one i,d need about 20 thanks

lillie 11-09-2009 11:59 AM

you can put some sachets of silicone in the suitcase too; that keeps the damp off- it sucks it up out of the atmoshere. not sure where to get it, mine are ancient, but i would try chemist or hardware shop

RubaiyateBandit 11-09-2009 12:16 PM

I just use Fiebing's Saddle Soap and Shep's Neatlene Harness Oil, same as I would my saddles. Since it's a pony harness, it's not real big; I bought a bridle bag that has three hooks inside a canvas bag and hangs wherever, and just keep it in that. When I get Bandit's new harness, I'll just get another bag for his.

lillie 11-09-2009 02:05 PM

sorry i meant silicea crystals , not silicone it helps keep damp and mould of the harness just put it in little bags in the suitcase with the harness