The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Giving shots, help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/giving-shots-help-40020/)

riccil0ve 11-07-2009 04:30 PM

Giving shots, help?

I went to the Co-op and bought a five-way vaccine for my two horses. This is the first time I'm going to give shots myself. I am mostly positive I know what I'm doing, but paranoia convinced me I should post and make sure I'm right, lol.

I know the whole triangle on the neck thing; between the crest, the windpipe, and the shoulder. I also know to go in at an angle, not straight in. It's an intramuscular shot, so it's pretty much guaranteed I'll hit the right spot. I'm good so far, yes?

Now, this is where I get confused. What do I do with the shots when I'm done? Aren't they a bio-hazard? I'm sure I can probably take them back to the Co-op to dispose of, or a vet office, I'm just checking.

I also want to make sure that every horse gets the same dose. I've never noticed a vet measuring it out for different horses, and it doesn't look like I can change how much I give them like you can wormer,, so again, I'm just making sure.

If anyone has any helpful hints or tips, or anything, please feel free to share. =]

Now, if anyone thinks to tell me I should have a vet do it, your comment will be completely and totally 100% ignored. I started school to get into vet school, I've been instructed and shown how to give shots a million times, this is just the first time I'm doing it myself. Respect my decision, I'm not a danger to the horse world, so keep any degrading comments to yourself. Thank you.

PS. If it makes you feel better, both my horses are excellent shot-takers, I don't have to worry about them reacting to me negatively and causing more problems.

StormyBlues 11-07-2009 04:33 PM

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYSALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you have NO air in the tube whatsoever! And ALWAYS pull back to make sure you havn't hit a vein and are getting blood in the shot. Call your vet about dosing, because overdosing can be very dangerous.

riccil0ve 11-07-2009 04:52 PM

So shake or tap the the bubbles out, and pull the thing back and make sure I'm not in a vein?

bubblegum 11-07-2009 05:57 PM

handy to squirt a little bit out when you are about to inject, incredibly important not to get bubbles in there, also disinfect the area with an alcohol swab before you inject and rub it in afterwards.

Do not hesitate about injecting i find the best thing is to pretend it is not your animal, (used to help in a vets for work experience and learnt some tips)

sillybunny11486 11-07-2009 06:21 PM

yeah. you cant be nervous as your doing it. just stick'em, pull back to look for blood, then just push it in. its always good to have someone hold them for you. i gave my mare a sedative yesterday, for the farrier, did the exact same thing. getting air out is more important for iv then im but its still something you should do regardless. the bottle should give dosing instructions. i find it alot cheeper to do this then have a vet, but since my vet needs to do coggins i just get him to do my mare while hes there. never reuse a needle. i think the vets office may charge you for medical waste disposal, but its required by law you dispose of it in a certain way.

My Beau 11-07-2009 07:31 PM

Pinch the skin at the injection site and once you pick a spot, commit and go for it!

But yea, getting any air out is the biggest concern. I've yet to hit a vein giving an IM shot (and that's alot of shots) so that shouldn't really be a problem..

riccil0ve 11-07-2009 07:37 PM

The shots I got are just a needle in it's little case, and a syringe with the vaccines. It says it only contains the one dose...

My Beau 11-07-2009 07:44 PM

Does it have the weight it's measured out for on the syringe?

riccil0ve 11-07-2009 08:29 PM

I have no idea, I haven't opened the package yet. I'll make sure to look though, I know how much my girls weigh and everything.

PechosGoldenChance 11-07-2009 08:36 PM

Ahhhh the first shot...haha. I remember giving a horse my first shot and i was sooooo freaked out! But it went really well i just pounded (gently but firmly) the area where i was going to insert the needle and popped it in there(think of a dart when your doing it) Their skin is real tough so don't hesitate to put it in firmly.

This other girl tried it on a different horse and she was soooo scared she went to poke him (which she did) but she pulled it back out right away lol needless to say the teacher took over for her on that one.