The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Who visits their old horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/who-visits-their-old-horses-40103/)

Amba1027 11-08-2009 07:22 PM

Who visits their old horses?
 
I guess "old" isn't the right word maybe... what I mean to say is, do you visit the horse(s) you used to own after you've sold them? I know where the horse I used to own is... I've been thinking about going to visit her but I'm not sure if that would be weird. And possibly too upseting for me as I really regret selling her. But just wondering if anyone does this or if it's a common thing to do?

Saskia 11-08-2009 08:09 PM

I used to live in the same city as my old horse and she just lived in a paddock so I would go and visit her every few months and give her carrots. She'd still come if I called her, and try and chase all the other horses away from me. That made me really sad.

I used to email the owner to tell her I was seeing her, and she was perfectly fine about it :) I don't do it to any other previous horse though.

Amba1027 11-08-2009 08:47 PM

I don't know my horse's new owner but I know the owners of the farm she's boarded at. I was thinking of emailing him and asking if it would be ok if I came to see her. I just think it might be a little weird because I sold her over 4 years ago and haven't spoken to the people since.

makin tracks 11-09-2009 09:13 AM

Yep.

We keep in touch with all our previous horses owners.

Love to hear of their successes and help with any problems they may have with them.

Kentucky 11-09-2009 01:16 PM

I have never done that, well not exactly I am good friends with the only person I have sold a horse to. We regularly go riding together. After I sold that horse i moved on.

Speed Racer 11-09-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amba1027 (Post 454860)
I don't know my horse's new owner but I know the owners of the farm she's boarded at. I was thinking of emailing him and asking if it would be ok if I came to see her. I just think it might be a little weird because I sold her over 4 years ago and haven't spoken to the people since.

You need to contact the horse's owner, not the owner of the farm where the horse is boarded. The farm owner has no right to let you visit a horse that's no longer yours.

In fact, if I had purchased a horse and the BO where I was boarding allowed the old owner to visit without that person contacting me first, I'd be looking for a new barn.

If you want permission to see the horse it has to come from the horse's owner, not the person where the animal is boarded.

ridergirl23 11-09-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 455547)
You need to contact the horse's owner, not the owner of the farm where the horse is boarded. The farm owner has no right to let you visit a horse that's no longer yours.

In fact, if I had purchased a horse and the BO where I was boarding allowed the old owner to visit without that person contacting me first, I'd be looking for a new barn.

If you want permission to see the horse it has to come from the horse's owner, not the person where the animal is boarded.

i agreee with that, except the owners of any horse at a public barn have no control over peolple visiting the barn and petting any horse without going in the stall. :)

my old horse now lives 4 and a half hours away in sascatchewan... we call the owners to make sure he is ok, and if i ever am going to drive through sascatchewan i would call and stop by.

just tell the owners the truth, that you havent gotten over selling him and you want to see him again, they would probably understand!

SmoothTrails 11-09-2009 02:01 PM

I know how you feel. I saw my old boy a few times, and I realized that for me it was best not to keep in touch. His new owners were very nice and offered to let me come ride him even, but they were on the road to ruining my baby. I just couldn't watch, and I really regret selling him.

That being said, I would ask the owners if I felt that I could go see my old horse without getting too emotional.

Speed Racer 11-09-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 455575)
i agreee with that, except the owners of any horse at a public barn have no control over peolple visiting the barn and petting any horse without going in the stall. :)

The farm owner better have control over who does or doesn't visit their property, and they need to make sure that NO ONE pets someone else's horse without that horse owner's permission, or they could be in for a very nasty lawsuit.

I don't know what kind of 'public barn' you're talking about, but if I'm paying good money for someone to feed, house, and look after my horse, they'd better danged well keep ANYONE away from my horse who hasn't been given permission to get near it.

NOBODY goes on my trainer's property without her knowing who they are, what they're there for, and without signing a waiver. Period.

LadyDreamer 11-09-2009 10:39 PM

Every now and again, I'll look up horses we used to own on the ASHA website. I like seeing who owns them, where/if they have been shown, if they had any foals, and how many people have had them.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0