The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Too nervous mare? Hormone imbalance? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/too-nervous-mare-hormone-imbalance-40113/)

kitten_Val 11-08-2009 09:13 PM

Too nervous mare? Hormone imbalance?

I talked to my trainer today and she says the symptoms I describe (doesn't like the sides to be touched, getting too nervous for no reason and so on) sound like hormone disbalance. She suggested regu-mate (it's by prescription only). But I did some research and don't think it's all that healthy to use. Are there any other stuff on market? What about magnesium + B-vita mix? I give Mare Magic (raspberry leaves), but it has very limited effect.

I gonna talk to my vet as well next week about it, but just wanna hear the opinions/experience.

Maverick101 11-09-2009 02:28 AM

You can try Chamomile or lavender...both work well to relax horses naturally without a lot of drugs...

Regumate is ok, would def help with the imblance, but it isnt easy to administer in the sense that YOU MUST wear gloves and be VERY careful with it, as it can screw up a humans cycle if absobred into the skin. Its also not something that you want to have on her for long term. Vets generally prescribe it for a few months then slowly wean them off, hoping that the imblance will level itself out.

There is also an herbal supplement called Chaste Berry (I belive that is what its called) that helps with hormonal imblances as well

kitten_Val 11-09-2009 04:26 PM

Thanks, Maverick! Yes, that was my understanding about regumate as well: you can do it limited, so personally I don't see much point. Will try some herbal stuff.

Ryle 11-09-2009 06:48 PM

Regumate is not something that I would give my own horse without a really good reason. I have watched many mares go through the sudden cramping and sweating that follows dosing with regumate at work and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Maverick101 11-10-2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryle (Post 455877)
Regumate is not something that I would give my own horse without a really good reason. I have watched many mares go through the sudden cramping and sweating that follows dosing with regumate at work and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

That reaction is generally from Regumate IV injections as its quicker and more concentrate, (is it not?) and then generally is followed with Regumate that is added in feed, or syringed orally
I have not seen hot sweaty, crampy horses with oral regumate, just the injection.