The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   New saddle w/ fitting pics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/new-saddle-w-fitting-pics-40131/)

rosie9r 11-09-2009 12:06 AM

New saddle w/ fitting pics

5 Attachment(s)
My appendix has TB withers and a qtr horse back. I was using a Courbette CC but it is too narrow so I have since been on a saddle search. Yesterday I stopped in at a tack store and looked at their used saddles and found a Crosby Corinthian CC with flex tree. I picked it up and tried it on Billy tonight and it looks like it will totally work for him.

We rode around the arena in it tonight and he seemed more relaxed in it since there was no wither pinching. He even didnt refuse to walk the hills around the property for once.

I have some crappy cell phone photos, and the back of the saddle one I had to just hold the phone up because he is so tall hehe. Let me know what you think if you see something off. I can fit 3 fingers above his withers.

PaintingMissy 11-09-2009 12:29 AM

The real test for seeing if a saddle will pinch your horses withers is to tack your horse up then run your hand from the pommel down and feel if the saddle get to tight anywhere. If your hand doesnt get stuck try it while your in the saddle and if you can run your hand down it then the saddle is probably a good fit.

luvs2ride1979 11-09-2009 12:43 AM

The fit looks pretty decent. Is there a reason you're using a half pad with it? A half pad can make a well fitting saddle fit "tight".

rosie9r 11-09-2009 02:41 PM

luve2ride, i do have a habit of using a half pad, its one of those beval felt pads. i think i get afraid there wont be enough cushion between me and his back? Maybe I should try riding without it and see how he does?

gypsygirl 11-09-2009 02:44 PM

personally, for a jumping saddle i like at least 4 fingers between the pommel & their withers.

luvs2ride1979 11-09-2009 04:38 PM

As long as you have 2 fingers of room between the withers and the saddle with a rider in the saddle, you're good. If the saddle's panels are in good shape and your horse's back is in good shape, then you don't need extra padding. If you want real cushion without affecting saddle fit, look at a ThinLine pad or a Skito saddle pad with 1/2" foam. Both will provide real shock absorbtion without changing the fit. Felt and synthtic fleece are not good shock absorbers. They just provide more "stuff" under your saddle.

QOS 11-09-2009 11:57 PM

thanks for those pictures. I am still dithering around about saddle fitting.

blush 11-10-2009 01:31 AM

It looks to me that the saddle may be a tad too wide. You may be able to fit 3 fingers in bewtween the front of the saddle and the withers, but once you are actually in the saddle, that width can change. In the pictures, the saddle looks like it is resting "loosely" on his back, and with you in the saddle, looks like it may pinch him once your weigh closes that 3 finger gap.

The saddle does, however, look much better fitted once you have the half pad under it. Most TB's have a "dip" right by the withers and while they need a wider saddle, too wide can cause that saddle to fall due to that drop off the wither. :]