The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Knife throwing or Archery? (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/knife-throwing-archery-401418/)

GAArtemis 04-23-2014 10:19 PM

Knife throwing or Archery?

Does anybody else like knife throwing or archery? Those are my two hobbies, and it's really good fun.

KnightsCopy 04-23-2014 10:41 PM

I've never heard of knife throwing as a sport! Wow! I would love to try though.

6gun Kid 05-03-2014 02:19 AM

been an archer, both traditional and modern, for some 30 years. Currently the owner of a 50's vintage bear cub longbow (40# @28, same vintage bear kodiak (60# at 28"), a Damon Howat breakdown 70 # recurve, and any number of 20-30# fiberglass bows for teaching folks how to shoot.The kinds you see at summer camps or gym class.
I also make strings in the flemish loop style, and craft traditional wooden arrows. I have NOT gone as far as my pal Rusty who knaps his own flint arrow heads ( altho .... it might be inevitable).
I tend to go with modern when I hunt, ( though I have taken both deer and turkey with both recurves). I like knowing I have the zip that a compound provides, for a nice clean kill.

horseNpony 05-04-2014 07:40 AM

I would really like to take up archery, looks like fun, nothing to do with the fact that I'm obsessed with lotr (shifty eyes..). As a child i always made bows out of sticks and play around with them. So, I'm asking those of you who do/have done archery. Is it expensive? And is it worth it? Theres a place that has archery nearby, so all the more reason to try it.

6gun Kid 05-04-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseNpony (Post 5314394)
them. So, I'm asking those of you who do/have done archery. Is it expensive? And is it worth it?

Yes and yes

6gun Kid 05-04-2014 11:05 PM

I feel a little bad for my misleading post above. While it is true, it gets expensive, it easy enough to buy used equipment to start. Depending what you want. Traditional archery sites often have classifieds, for used modern gear pawn shops are an excellent source of gear. You stated that there is an archery range nearby, sign up for lessons, and shoot their bows and decide whether you enjoy it enough to lay out the cash for your own gear.

dreamracer 05-05-2014 12:27 AM

knife throwing!!!

About a year ago i looked into knife throwing. It is a cheap, entertaining and unusual. The knives are more expensive per say then your average silverware but when compared to other forms of enertainment it is much , much cheaper... as long as you don't send anyone to the e.r., lol. :wink:
Have fun!!!

Nutty Saddler 05-05-2014 04:59 AM

Archery takes lots and lots of practice - I have a recurve longbow and a new made traditional mongol/magyar mounted horse bow, although I haven't done mounted archery due to the lack of the right horse .

Don't loose heart if things don't go very well in the beginning and if you can join a club so you can get some help in proper techniques /stance etc

DuffyDuck 05-05-2014 05:43 AM

I failed miserable at archery...

And 6gun.... expensive?! this is a horse forum ;-) We're used to spending fortunes on our horse's diet and then living off rice and noodles!

horseNpony 05-05-2014 05:55 AM

"Affordable, cheap" unknown words to me, i pay well over $2,500 a year on my riding lessons and cant even afford a new phone (mine broke about 5 months ago). I may give archery a go, if i dont like it i wont like it, if i do i can keep going :)