The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Need to rant!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/need-rant-40159/)

BaileeJJMommy 11-09-2009 01:05 PM

Need to rant!!!

OK, so heres the deal. My husbands cousin text me a few days ago, telling me that someone is giving her as pony for her 2 year old son who is autistic, and is mentally disabled. She doesn't know ANYTHING about horses in general, and took in this animal because it was free!

Anyways, turns out this "pony" is an unhandled,4 year old shetland donkey cross (a mule!!). And it isn't gelded or anything.She asked me to train it for her for free,in exchange for letting my kids ride it! (LMAO I explained to her that I have my own horses that I trust and no thank you!). What is bothering me the most, is that they don't know what to do. They argue with me that it isn't a mule, but a pony;even though it is half donkey. They are saying that they are going to train this thing, and heres the best of all!! She says she is going to geld him her self! Holy CRAP! I don't know what to do.

I have tried to explain everything to them but they wont listen to me at all. I am concerned for the little boy, and also for the animal, because when it does hurt him, I am afraid of what they are going to do to him. Any suggestions? Besides divorcing my husband because its his family?? LOL j/k

SmoothTrails 11-09-2009 01:09 PM

All I can say is refuse to help. My aunt's husband did the same thing, and since my family has horses he wanted us to help. He got a 3 year old, untrained stallion for my cousin. I can't stand when people like that get horses, mules, dogs, anything. He tried to get us to sell him one of our horses and we just laughed. I wouldn't sell a horse to someone like that for anything.

ridergirl23 11-09-2009 01:10 PM

even if they DID manage to train it..
1.it would take years to get it actually trained
2.it would need years more eperience before you could let a small child on its back safely.
3.it doesnt really matter if its a mule or not, theyre all of the same family, and ive heard mules are etremely smart.

BaileeJJMommy 11-09-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 455599)
even if they DID manage to train it..
1.it would take years to get it actually trained
2.it would need years more eperience before you could let a small child on its back safely.
3.it doesnt really matter if its a mule or not, theyre all of the same family, and ive heard mules are etremely smart.

Thats what I mean! They aren't going to take that time. they are going to just throw the boy up there. I know these people and how they are. I was pointing out that it was a mule to show how little they know, and the fact that mules can be much more stubborn and harder to train.

I am not going to help them at all. I have told her that. I just can't believe they are going to try to geld him themselves! I told my husband that if they do, I am going to call humane society on them.

SmoothTrails 11-09-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaileeJJMommy (Post 455602)
Thats what I mean! They aren't going to take that time. they are going to just throw the boy up there. I know these people and how they are. I was pointing out that it was a mule to show how little they know, and the fact that mules can be much more stubborn and harder to train.

I am not going to help them at all. I have told her that. I just can't believe they are going to try to geld him themselves! I told my husband that if they do, I am going to call humane society on them.

I would do just that. It's one thing for an experinced person to deal with all of that, but it's stupid for people who know nothing to do it. I can say from experience...this would be one of those "you can't fix stupid" moments.

ridergirl23 11-09-2009 01:19 PM

hahaha they could do it the hillbilly way!!! just sit 'im on up there and duct tape him in the saddle...haha

but seriously, did you tell them to hire a tainer? that might help, then the trainer could tell them that its not going to happen.

BaileeJJMommy 11-09-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 455607)
hahaha they could do it the hillbilly way!!! just sit 'im on up there and duct tape him in the saddle...haha

but seriously, did you tell them to hire a tainer? that might help, then the trainer could tell them that its not going to happen.

They are rednecks. They won't even pay a vet to come geld it; let alone pay a trainer! I just see an accident waiting to happen. I mean this thing is WILD! They think just because it it small, that it isn't dangerous! I tried to explain to them, I said "would you go and get an unhandled, 4 year old full sized stallion for yourself? Then WHY WHY WHY would you go get a wild mule for your 2 year old handicapped kid??"

farmpony84 11-09-2009 01:45 PM

Tell them in a nice way that there are many programs for special needs children with trained handlers and horses. That is where her child belongs. Not in a backyard on an untrained mule.

AussieDaisyGirl 11-09-2009 01:55 PM

Ummm yah.. humane society or something. That's a situation bound to go bad in a heartbeat.

thunderhooves 11-09-2009 02:08 PM

humane society! :)