The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   resting hind leg(s) (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/resting-hind-leg-s-40162/)

ffdfrontman 11-09-2009 02:07 PM

resting hind leg(s)

I may be over paranoid so I will ask here first.

My belgian mare will at times put her hind leg or legs at rest (raising her hoof a lil with no body weight on it. I have read they rest their legs but do they normally stand like this a lot? She does switch legs often but when im working with her (grooming, feeding, etc.) she will rest one side more than the other.

I have not found any sore spots on her or get a reaction to any palpations, etc. I assume it is her resting it but she does it all the time! I am not worried to call the vet so if thats the best recommendation I will do it. She doesnt favor any one side when she walks/trots, she doesnt show any body gestures to anything hurting such as holding her tail to one side.

Just checking to see what your guys/girls do...

ridergirl23 11-09-2009 02:31 PM

she's proobably just crooked(every horse is) which means they use one back leg more then the other(simple way to put it) don't worry about it, I think she's fine. If she alwaysrests a leg when she stadns, she's smart and takes a rest every
Moment she can. If you put her in a spooky situation and halted her I doubt she would rest a leg! ;)

waterbuggies 11-09-2009 03:00 PM

My Belgians do that all the time, thats alot of weight to carry around ;-). Mine do it when relaxing, napping, tied, grooming, saddling (which is annoying because I can't get the saddle pad right with the one hip hanging low). If they are safe and relaxed 9-10 times they will be standing on a toe on one side or the other.

ffdfrontman 11-09-2009 03:26 PM

thank you! Thats exactly what she does stands on the toe.

mollysmom 11-12-2009 10:43 PM

All horses large or small stand like this, it is a normal resting position. I would say you have nothing to worry about.

ffdfrontman 11-13-2009 10:26 AM

Yeah I knew all horses stood like this. It wasnt so much her standing like this as it was how long/freqent she does it. Unless I am moving her she stands like this all day long. I wasnt to worried with it but wanted to double check.

Appy Luvr 11-13-2009 11:24 AM

My yearling Appy does this ALL the time. It's virtually impossible to get a pic of her with all 4 feet on the ground as she ALWAYS has one resting. Some of them just must like to rest more than others!

danastark 11-13-2009 09:05 PM

My guys always do it when they are relaxed. My draftie does it the most, he's the most calm one of the bunch. My paint does it the least, he's the most neurotic of the bunch!

1dog3cats17rodents 11-13-2009 09:58 PM

My guy usually rests his back left leg. It's a pain in the neck to work with the leg wirth it never down, but it's not a sign of anything wrong :-)