The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Passing away (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/passing-away-40242/)

gossipgirl101 11-10-2009 01:06 PM

Passing away

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, but since it does have to do with horse health overall, I guess it's okay.

Anyway, yesterday, my horse Jerry was diagnosed with liver failure. His arthritis is so bad these days, he can hardly stand up. He has been resting in a stall for the past week, and isn't eating well. The vet says that, at most, he has three weeks to live.

Jerry is 28 years old, and my family has unfortunately been expecting this to happen ever since he was diagnosed with arthritis 8 months ago, but we are still shocked. The vet also added that it might be the most humane thing to put him down because he is in a lot of pain and won't eat anyway.

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid to you, because I'm sure a lot of you have had to deal with a loved animal passing away, but please, please give me some words of support. I really don't know what to do, and at this point, my parents are sort of leaving the decision-making up to me since Jerry is my horse. I don't want him to suffer, but I really, really don't want him to die either. :cry:

Thank you for reading this!

ShutUpJoe 11-10-2009 01:09 PM

: ( He lived a long life. At least he had a great owner like you. It's better to let him go than let him suffer.

gossipgirl101 11-10-2009 01:11 PM

Thank you....I suppose you're right. I just love him so much, I wish I didn't have to.....

themacpack 11-10-2009 01:15 PM

Sometimes the most loving thing we can do is to let go. I would have the vet come out so that his passing is as painless as possible rather than letting nature run it's course.

gossipgirl101 11-10-2009 01:18 PM

I think that, deep down, everyone here knew that's what would have to happen in the end. The vet is coming every afternoon to check on him anyway, so probably tomorrow will be The Day. It's just so hard to let a horse that you've had for your whole life go. :'(

kitten_Val 11-10-2009 01:25 PM

I'm very sorry to hear that! He lived long (and I'm sure great) life, and he'll be in animal heaven. I lost my dear old cat this year, and I know what you feel - even knowing they are old and time to go it's still HORRIBLY hard to let them go....

luvmyperch 11-10-2009 01:28 PM

I know how hard it is sweetie. But, you love him and he deserves to be at peace after all the love he's given to you. You don't really want to see him suffer. The very best gift you can give him is to let him go :(

gossipgirl101 11-10-2009 01:29 PM

that'[s exactly how I feel, kitten_Val! it's going to be hard, but I think that he's in so much pain, it will be better for him in the long run. He is a very mellow horse and if he could talk, I'm sure he wouldn't have any problems with my decision. That's what I'm thinking now, as a sort of a way to make myself feel better about it. =S

xxBarry Godden 11-10-2009 01:43 PM

Gossipgirl

You have known the love and companionship of the horse. Now do the horse a favour in return.
At 28 he has had a good innings.
Don't feel mean. Feel resigned to the inevitable.
It is not easy - it never is.
Just remember that if he had not given you so much pleasure then you would not be feeling this pain now.

If the vet knows his job, the horse will feel no pain.
Just stand by him and watch him go to sleep.
Give him a stroke and send him on his way.

It won't be easy and you will cry. Lots.
Remember all the good times and smile.

Wait a bit.
Then go out and find yourself another horse.

Be strong girl. You are not alone.

Barry G

gossipgirl101 11-10-2009 01:52 PM

I can't believe how kind and caring everyone is here! I actually feel a lot better than I did only an hour ago....thank you so much, everyone!