The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Hunt Show questions (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/hunt-show-questions-40244/)

farmpony84 11-10-2009 01:54 PM

Hunt Show questions

So... I'm thinking about doing some hunt shows for the winter. My questions are:

Would my horse place?
Do all hunt shows have flat divisions? (He is only 4 so no jumping)
Do I have to change my bit? (It's an english port w/ a chain)
I need a new jacket, where do I get an affordable one and what does it need to look like? I am assuming AQHA and hunt jackets are they the same?
I need new boots and want zip ones, can I get them for for under $200?
Can I use my tail? Do I always have to braid?

upnover 11-10-2009 02:51 PM

Hunt shows like, Hunter/Jumper type shows? Or breed show hunt shows?

Rated or Schooling?

farmpony84 11-10-2009 02:54 PM

really he's only 3. he'll be 4 in april.

I'm thinking the Virginia Horse Show Association Associate Shows. I think maybe the Hunter/equitation ones? (I'm assuming that's what H/E means.) There are H/J ones too....

upnover 11-10-2009 03:20 PM

Interesting, I can't tell by their website what it might be closer to, open shows or h/j type. I'm thinking more open since they have several breed classes and such. But pictures look a lot like h/js soooo.... :-) Let me answer from the perspective of a h/j type hunter rider!

Would my horse place? - no idea. :) totally depends on how your horse goes and the competition he's against!

Do all hunt shows have flat divisions? (He is only 4 so no jumping) - they should.

Do I have to change my bit? (It's an english port w/ a chain) - what are the sides like? judges prefer snaffle type bits, but you once the bit is in the horse's mouth you can't always tell what it is: if it's a snaffle or say, a dr bristol. unless the sides are different. there was an undersaddle class where it came down to 2 horses. the judge picked the snaffle over the kimberwicke simply because a snaffle is much milder. if your horse goes well in a snaffle i say put him in a snaffle.

I need a new jacket, where do I get an affordable one and what does it need to look like? I am assuming AQHA and hunt jackets are they the same? they fit the same but usually colors are more traditional. Navy is classic. Darker and lighter greys and sometimes browns are great. Black with a subtle pattern in coming in huge. But hunters generally avoid hunter greens, teals, light tans, etc that I see mainly in the breed show world. Ebay is a fabulous place to look. The Dover clearance section also has some great deals.

I need new boots and want zip ones, can I get them for for under $200? Cheap ones? absolutely. More quality ones? You can if you look around long enough! I found my Ariats new on Ebay for $150! No zippers though...

Can I use my tail? Do I always have to braid?[/quote] Yes, but skimpy tail is always better then a poorly done fake. Not as important to HJers as in the QH people. Most people don't braid tails unless they're doing a rated show. Even then I don't unless it's a really big show or an important class.

PaintingMissy 11-14-2009 12:39 AM

personally dont use a tail. They are postively the tackest thing you can put on your horse. They also typically get caught between horses legs and become distraced. So leave the tail at home. Braiding typically is determined by weither you braid or band your horses mane. If you braid you must braid the tail and if you band braiding of the tail is not necessary. If would most definatly recommend that you braid your horse. It will give the judge the feeling that you care about your horse's apperance and that is always good.

Hopes this helps.

farmpony84 11-14-2009 11:27 AM

Banding is only for western. I love my tail. I was looking at pix of Lexington and saw tons of hunt horses using them, that's why I asked.