The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is he worth it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/he-worth-40247/)

MTcowgirl 11-10-2009 01:28 PM

Is he worth it?

This horse is with someone now who is feeding him and will take good care of him but they want to find a forever home.

He is 21 years old and is a quarter horse. My question is, is he worth it? He's a very sweet boy.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0/IMG_1153.jpg

themacpack 11-10-2009 01:30 PM

So, the picture is from a previous owner/situation?

ShutUpJoe 11-10-2009 01:32 PM

: ( Is he thin from age, teeth, health condition? It's hard to tell. When he fattens up will he be sound? will he be sane? will he have conformation issues? Will he even fatten up? A lot of older horses are very very hard to fatten up and keep fat.

Personally, I wouldn't do it because there are too many things to consider. But if you have the time, money and patience I say go for it.

MTcowgirl 11-10-2009 01:34 PM

Yes, all of the other horses at the farm where he is at now are all owned by the same guy. And they're all fat.

The guy that has him saved him from someone who wasn't feeding him. If he was still in that situation I'd take him no matter what.

MTcowgirl 11-10-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe (Post 456921)
: ( Is he thin from age, teeth, health condition? It's hard to tell. When he fattens up will he be sound? will he be sane? will he have conformation issues? Will he even fatten up? A lot of older horses are very very hard to fatten up and keep fat.

Personally, I wouldn't do it because there are too many things to consider. But if you have the time, money and patience I say go for it.

So far as I know he would be sound and healthy... He has fattened up some since this guy rescued him. He is thin simply because he wasn't fed. His teeth are fine.

Canopach01 11-10-2009 03:58 PM

My kind heart would give him the chance. I would however have some lab work drawn to make sure all his major organ function is still in order. You need to know if there are any underlying medical problems. I have a 25yr old QH out here that is still sound, fat and happy. So maybe this one still has some years left for you. :)

deineria 11-10-2009 10:31 PM

Yes, I mean, 21 can be a horse with 5 plus useful years left or lots more. How he looks there is no indication of how he would look well cared for, assuming there aren't serious underlying issues.

mammakatja 11-11-2009 09:57 AM

If all he is is thin from not being fed, but he's not lame or stiff or has some other type of issues, then yes, I'd say he's worth it. I have a 27 year old gelding that was recently given to me by a good samaritan who saved him from neglect a year ago. It has taken one year for him to put the weight back on with a good quality, high fat content sweetfeed (Triple Crown Complete), and he looks great now. I ride him regularly myself and he's worth his weight in gold around my kids. I hope to have him for several more years.

dashygirl 11-11-2009 11:47 AM

I say only if you can afford it and have time to dedicate to him, you might as well help a life.

bellamuerte 11-13-2009 02:48 PM

I would give him a chance. :)