The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Adoption Fees (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/adoption-fees-40255/)

ShutUpJoe 11-10-2009 02:52 PM

Adoption Fees

What is your opinion on rescues who charge adoption fees that are equivalent to the sell of the horse?

Such as this

Miss Bee's adopt now fee is $2500. (check for details on specials at the top of the page)
If paying payments $1000. down and $250. a month, 10% off final bid if paying up front
located at SWAP HQ and CSS in WV

http://www.crossedsabers.com/images/...sep%200984.JPG

Another:
Sukhoi is located in MI (riding pictures coming)
Sukhoi's adoption fee is $3000. (see specials at the top of the page, 10% off if paying up front vs. paying monthly payments. If paying monthly payments it would be $1000. down and $250. a month until paid).

http://www.crossedsabers.com/images/horses/P1020121.JPG

MN Tigerstripes 11-10-2009 03:08 PM

I'm thinking it's the only way they can stay in business and keep rescuing horses. They still probably lose money or maybe break even on most of their horses.

Crimsonhorse01 11-10-2009 03:11 PM

It means I'm never adopting a horse. Especially when you actually dont Own the animal.

ShutUpJoe 11-10-2009 03:16 PM

I volunteered for a rescue. The horses were usually surrendered to the rescue or bought from auctions. $2000 to $3000 a horse is more than breaking even. Look at New Vocations (horseadoption.com) all of their horses are surrendered, they keep them for months before they get adopted and the highest fee on there is $700. Most of the horses they end up with need some kind of surgery to repair damage from being a track horse as well.

You can't call yourself a rescue if you are just buying, training and then re-selling a horse. Even if you do actually have a few rescues at your location.

MN Tigerstripes 11-10-2009 03:27 PM

It probably depends on the rescue, but in some places there is a lot of overhead associated with keeping the horse. Land cost, feed, fencing, training, vets, farrier care, workers, and so on. I believe some of these rescues keep some horses for quite awhile. I'm not saying every place that charges these high prices is really on the up and up. I'm just saying that there are reasons that some places would have higher prices than others.

You would probably pay more at a facility that had a larger number of "non-adoptables" or that had more severe rescue cases or even in more highly populated areas were land prices/property taxes are much higher. These people are already donating a lot of their time to take on a job that very few people seem to want, so I don't see anything wrong with them trying to make a small profit.

Of course, if they're abusing the word rescue that's a different story. I definitely have a problem with them falsly advertising that they are a rescue in order to get "pity money."

JustDressageIt 11-10-2009 03:29 PM

I question "rescues" that are asking for many thousands for their adoption fees.

Alwaysbehind 11-10-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes (Post 457038)
It probably depends on the rescue, but in some places there is a lot of overhead associated with keeping the horse. Land cost, feed, fencing, training, vets, farrier care, workers, and so on. I believe some of these rescues keep some horses for quite awhile. I'm not saying every place that charges these high prices is really on the up and up. I'm just saying that there are reasons that some places would have higher prices than others.

You would probably pay more at a facility that had a larger number of "non-adoptables" or that had more severe rescue cases or even in more highly populated areas were land prices/property taxes are much higher. These people are already donating a lot of their time to take on a job that very few people seem to want, so I don't see anything wrong with them trying to make a small profit.

Of course, if they're abusing the word rescue that's a different story. I definitely have a problem with them falsly advertising that they are a rescue in order to get "pity money."

I agree!

I see nothing wrong with rescues charging more than way cheap for a horse. I would assume a good rescue would have the horse current on all vet things and farrier and working on any training issues it might have so it is safe.

Some rescues do give ownership to the adopter.

MN Tigerstripes 11-10-2009 03:40 PM

That's what I would think, but I know NOTHING about rescues. I just know how much it costs to take care of my horses. Especially when we had a "special needs" one. It got a little spendy quick.

Of course, I don't think these places are doing themselves or their horses any favors with some of their requirements. And the ones where you don't own the animal? Come on, that just seems a little ridiculous.

I don't know why I bother to defend them though, even if I had the money no rescue would let me adopt a horse. My facilities aren't good enough, even though we've had our horses for years (3 of them from birth to death) and they are all (or were anyways for the dead ones) fat, happy, spoiled, and loved.

ShutUpJoe 11-10-2009 04:31 PM

I'm going to use that particular rescue as an example. Because if they were charging that adoption fee for every horse or even making the difference a few hundred dollars with companion horses waived then it would be different. But (and I see this a lot) this one has horses adoption fees priced from free, $550, $750 and so on. That to me is selling. They are pricing the horse according to what they believe they are worth.

(Which is ridiculous becuase they have an arab on there that has WAY better confirmation than the first horse I posted for around $650)

Real rescues price the horses within the same price range.

It's also ridiculous to me because this rescue is relatively close to me and there are horses of the same breed as the above going for hundreds not thousands. So they are stuck feeding those horses because they don't have an appropriate fee for them. While more horses need rescued.

I think the person who owned the rescue I volunteered for brain washed me. This used to drive her mad, lol.

MN Tigerstripes 11-10-2009 04:36 PM

What's the name of this particular rescue?