The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Ugh... need to rant. basically. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ugh-need-rant-basically-40271/)

SSH Farm 11-10-2009 07:14 PM

Ugh... need to rant. basically.

Hi All,

I try not to make a habit of ranting, but today was an especially bad day horse wise, and I need to write to help me get through it.

I had to have my old Quarter Horse, Tulsa, put down today. This leaves me with a HUGE hole in my heart, not to mention in our barn family. To make this whole thing better, my grandma, who owns a horse I ride regularly and care for daily, wants to move him from our home farm in PA to Florida! And she wants to do it THIS WINTER. I just lost one baby today, and now she tells me she is taking another one. I know I can't do anything about it because I don't own him, but it kills me to think I will be losing yet another one of my "kids." I don't know what to do... I wish I could somehow convince her to leave him here with me and the other horses. Any suggestions on how to approach it with her? :( Ugh, sorry for posting a rant, but it was much needed today.

~Jill

redneckprincess70 11-10-2009 10:55 PM

Sorry about your loss of Tulsa.

snoggle 11-10-2009 11:05 PM

Could you maybe ask her to just wait a little while? Maybe six months or so - that way you could kinda get used to the loss of Tulsa before you have to deal with losing another. Just tell her what you wrote here - that losing one has already left a huge hole in your heart. Or could you buy him from her and encourage her to get another one in Florida (that way she wouldn't have to pay to move him or haul a trailer or whatever)?

NorthernMama 11-10-2009 11:46 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. This was one of a pair of very close horses wasn't it? How is Smoke doing?

I agree -- talk to your Grandmother and see if you can get some leeway. Why does she want to move him? If you know that answer to that, you might find another solution also.

Alwaysbehind 11-11-2009 09:14 AM

So sorry for your loss!

SSH Farm 11-12-2009 10:09 AM

Thank you all... I have talked to her about leaving Pryde here, but she seems to not want to reason with me at all. Ugh.

Northern Mama: Yes, this was one of the pair of close buddies. Smoke is doing very well actually though... we are really happy to see him getting along with his new buddy.

NorthernMama 11-12-2009 10:50 PM

It's good to here that Smoke is OK. Watch for moods though -- I wonder if anyone has experience with the month following a loss of a buddy.

Why does your grandmother want to move Pryde? Does she ride? Is he her pet? Is she moving to FL and taking him with her?