The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Christmas Treats for Your Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/christmas-treats-your-horse-40275/)

Clementine 11-10-2009 06:43 PM

Christmas Treats for Your Horse

Hey everybody,
I was just wondering if you give your horses special (food) treats for Christmas? I was considering perhaps giving some crushed peppermint bits in their feed or something like that. I know the sugar isn't exactly good for them, but I do feed them peppermints as treats after every ride already, so I don't think it would make that much difference, would it?

:D

shesinthebarn 11-10-2009 09:47 PM

We give a special Christmas mash on Christmas Eve, with shredded apples. On Christmas morning we peel big juicy oranges and let them have a go at them - they seem to love it!
I don't see any harm in a few peppermints...BTW, I fed my horse a bagel this morning and he loved it!

MyLittleHunter 11-11-2009 11:24 AM

I make special treats, one recipe is makes Oat and Carrot treats, the other makes Apple and Molasses treats. They love them!

Clementine 11-11-2009 11:58 PM

Ha ha, I love it when people agree about spoiling horses! :D I'd love it if we could share recipes!

Cheshire 11-12-2009 12:33 AM

I made some treats today, pretty basic recipe -- just oats, shaved carrot and apple, a bit of oil and lots of molasses. I tried one -- they're actually pretty darn good.

I like the idea of feeding a plump, juicy orange on Christmas day, as that is a tradition in our house anyway among the humans at least. Maybe I'll bake her a single horse muffin with a ground peppermint candy in it as a seasonal treat...

Seconded, we should all share our fav recipes. :)

Clementine 12-04-2009 09:12 PM

Okay, so I finally have some ideas to share. I'm a Vegan myself, and as I also think it would be weird to feed horses dairy or eggs, I've been trying to think of some Vegan treats. I tried to make some Vegan Snickerdoodle cookies today, and after they came out wonderfully (my Non-Vegan family and my brother's friends loved them!) I thought "I bet these would make good horses treats!"

RECIPE:
1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Non-Dairy Milk (Soy, Almond, or Coconut*)
1 teaspon Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Step 1. In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, and baking powder.

Step 2. Mix oil, sugar, brown sugar, non-dairy milk, and vanilla.

Step 3. Slowly combine dry ingredients into the oil/sugar mixturer. Chill in freezer for 10-15 minutes.

Step 4. Scoop by the packed tablespoon into the palm of your hand. Roll into a small ball, and then, using two fingers, press them gently down to form a disc.

Step 5. Bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven. Makes 36 small "cookies".

This is just the basic "plain" cookie recipe. (To make actual snickerdoodles, shape them into balls, then roll in Cinnamon sugar before flattening and baking.) I thought that you could do a lot of different variations on this...add shredded apple or carrot, crushed peppermints, or oats, or mashed banana. You could even do garlic, or perhaps peanut butter*.

* Not sure about feeding these things to horses - what do you think?

RadHenry09 12-04-2009 09:44 PM

Both my horses love , love , love peppermints! Everything in moderation.
I have seen mashes that you can buy that have peppermints crushed up , I think I saw that in the SmartPak catalog (holiday mash) I thought about that for my own boys since Christmas evening is my night to feed : )

Tasia 12-13-2009 04:47 PM

oh oh oh!!! I read this some where...
Take a ice cream cone put some of your horses fav. grain in and add shaved carrots and maybe some molasses!

Luv 2 Trail 12-13-2009 08:43 PM

:-)I core an apple - then take a knife and make little holes where I took the core out - then I stuff crushed peppermint pieces in there - my guys LOVE it!

RadHenry09 12-13-2009 08:52 PM

I found another recipe that I may try on Christmas night.Use a Pie Pan take sliced up carrots and apples use some corn oil drizzled on top then sprinkle on sugar and cinnamon . You then can bake it at 300 degrees until warm , serve when cool and it feeds several horses. Just put a spoonful on top of their regular grain. It is a little extra treat without it being too much ....