The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Strategy or Triple Crown Complete? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/strategy-triple-crown-complete-40300/)

deineria 11-10-2009 10:48 PM

Strategy or Triple Crown Complete?

We have some hard keepers, and I've liked Strategy so far, but we had been mixing our own feed with oats, alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, rice bran, Flax seed and ACV. That was just too much to deal with mixing and buy one thing here and another there - running out at different times - and the cost was pretty high as well - I'd say $35 - $40 a 100 lbs - and we needed to feed quite a bit of it. We went to Strategy and we add rice bran at a less amount daily than the mix we did before but doubled their hay, and I have found a bit of condition loss, still they look much better on it verses any sweet feeds prior. It costs $12.50 a 50 and the rice bran is $24 a 40. We stopped into Southern States today and saw they sell Triple Crown Complete for $15.80 a 50, and it is forage based with Rice Bran, Flax Seed and Beet Pulp all in the top ingredients, so I was thinking of switching. It wouldn't matter if they were not such hard keepers - most are, anyway. The pony and stallion seem to keep great weight and condition no matter what, but the Arab filly and mare and Saddlebred rescue DO NOT want to keep weight regardless - they are 100% healthy, vet checked, good with their teeth and no need for more wormings - they are just hard keepers.
The 1200 lb Saddlebred gets 2 scoops of Strategy twice a day and one scoop of rice bran twice a day and about 40lbs of hay.
The Arab mare and filly get the same with feed, but about 30lbs of hay a day.

What do you guy think based on experience?

starlinestables 11-10-2009 11:20 PM

I feed strategy now and it works for us but triple crown is an over all better feed. With out doing the calculations, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which is the better value.

Valentina 11-11-2009 09:11 AM

Since Strategy has a higher than average fat content it helps put/keep weight on - nice overall feed. I fed sweet feed years ago (about 15) then switched to Strategy and have never looked back. Sweet feed is like kids cereal - too much sugar which promotes poor health as they get older.

Stick to the Strategy, make certain their teeth are done at least once yearly - if very young (3 or less) or very old (over 18 start getting teeth done twice a year. If the teeth grow into points or grow enough that they no longer "meet" (top meet bottom) well then horse will "loose" feed out of the mouth or not be able to chew it up enough to digest it to the maximum extent.

Also make certain they've been wormed (use different wormers each time you worm so the worms can't build up a resistance - for example if you use Ivermectin in January use a pyrantal pamoate in April - and it depends where you live (in Florida I worm every 4 months) but minimally worm at least twice a year.

New_image 11-11-2009 09:25 AM

I currently have Purina Equine Senior, Purina Strategy, Safechoice and Triple Crown Senior in my barn as well as a mix we've put together from the mill.
IF I could afford it ALL of the horses would receive the Triple Crown. Any rescues we get in gain weight quickly and right on there topline where you want it. My 22 year old mare was on Purina Senior for a long time but switched to the Triple Crown and again, this did a better topline job. She actually gets a Strategy, Equine Senior, Triple Crown Senior mix.

I am a big fan of TC complete & senior feed.

mammakatja 11-11-2009 09:41 AM

My boys came to me on Triple Crown Complete. They were neglected and severely underweight a little over a year ago and were literally nursed back to health on the Complete. They are gorgeous now and one of them is around 27 years old. Usually the seniors are a little tougher to put weight on but he looks great. Now that they are healthy and back up to preferred weight, I'm switching to something a little more in my budget and with a little less fat since they aren't performance horses and really don't need to gain any more. I'm also switching to pellets for various reasons. I'm sticking with Southern States but I'll be buying either Legends Show and Pleasure or Reliance High Fat. Not sure which one yet but they have almost identical protein, fat, and fiber numbers. So anyway, I think you'll like Triple Crown Complete with your hard keepers.

deineria 11-11-2009 10:39 AM

Yes, none of the horses have teeth or worm issues - UTD on all of that.
Good to know about the topline being a place it puts weight on - that is seriously were they need it.
I might do a half and half mix of each feed - that is a thought for sure and just stop buying Rice Bran by its self - which would save a lot.

Vidaloco 11-11-2009 11:17 AM

Mine get Strategy along with free choice grass hay. I thought of switching for the winter since they don't get worked as much. After checking the Purina web site and talking with the local supplier, I've decided to just cut back on the amount they get. So far so good. We have fed nothing but Strategy for several years and have been very happy with it.
Shop around, I found it for $11.50 per 50#bag

kchfuller 11-11-2009 12:02 PM

i use Strategy for both horses and love it.

toosexy4myspotz 11-11-2009 12:10 PM

I recently switched Poco to stradegy and I am very very pleased. Although Poco doesnt have a specific use he is heavily worked. He gets (in one day) 10lbs stradegy, 5 lbs crimpled oats, and approx. 8 quarts soaked beet pulp and he has unlimited hay. He is fed in multiple feedings. Poco is a very hard keeper anyway and he gets anywhere from 35-45 hours of extensive work a week. I have also supplemented him with weight builder prior to switching over to stradegy.

kchfuller 11-11-2009 12:20 PM

^dang what do you do with him? if i was worked that hard i would be a hard keeper too lol :D