The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   aunt scared of horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/aunt-scared-horse-40329/)

chika1235 11-11-2009 12:55 PM

aunt scared of horse.
 
my aunt bought a horse awhile ago with no horse knowledge she barely rode a horse.ever.she doesnt know how to take care of one. and shes scared to death of my horse,who is tall but she has had 3 yr olds riding her.but at least she is broke to ride and is calm.as for her new horse she bought. she bucks,rears,she is crazy and she wont let you catch her.she is a nervous wreck and she has struck at me.she can lounge,lead,load,bathe,etc. and does good on the ground but she is a devil in the saddle.she will do anything she can to get you off.rearing and spinning in circles,running into fence posts trying to hurt your knees.as soon as i put my foot in the stirrup she takes off. and my aunt wants to ride her!!!
my aunt says"shes just a little nervous,shell be fine if you ride and work with her for a little while"
now im stuck riding and working with this horse,taking care of her everyday while my aunt just comes down every once in a while to brush her and say that she needs more riding time before my aunt gets on her.

adelina is a 8 yr old paso fino mare that i hate working with.and my aunt suggested that we go t a show with her.she did horrible at the show and she reared,refused to obey any of my commands,and when we went into the arena she wouldnt go above a walk.
my aunt gets her feelings hurt very easily and adelina is the only horse she wants to ride!i keep telling her to ride my horse and get her a broker quarter horse or something that doesnt want to kill me everytime i get near it.but she keeps on saying that she needs a slow gaited horse,which adelina is but i dont think gaited horses are the best thing to start off on.as i have a tn walker and for the first year i had her she was a handful to ride.
sorry its so long i was just venting,any one have anyone like this at your barn?

kitten_Val 11-11-2009 01:01 PM

I know I gonna sound harsh, but...

Tell your aunt TO SEND A HORSE TO THE GOOD TRAINER. Tell her you are afraid to ride the horse/have no time/blah-blah-blah (there are plenty of excuses you can make up). And if she'll be insistent just ask who'll pay you disability and insurance if the horse will hurt you. C'mon, you do NOT have to put your health and life in risk just to please someone - whether it's relative, friend, or a stranger. And actually the relative should be more concerned about you well-being then her horse.

kevinshorses 11-11-2009 01:01 PM

If you don't want to ride her horse because he is dangerous then tell her to cowboy up and ride her or pay up and send her to a trainer or smarten up and sell her and buy a horse she can ride. Just riding a horse doesn't make problems go away. Training while riding makes problems go away. As far as gaited horses not being for beginners, if you find the right well trained gaited horse they can be fine for beginners but you can't just pick any horse.

chika1235 11-11-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 458008)
If you don't want to ride her horse because he is dangerous then tell her to cowboy up and ride her or pay up and send her to a trainer or smarten up and sell her and buy a horse she can ride. Just riding a horse doesn't make problems go away. Training while riding makes problems go away. As far as gaited horses not being for beginners, if you find the right well trained gaited horse they can be fine for beginners but you can't just pick any horse.

yes i know that all gaited horses arent like that.i have a tn walker id trust my life with.the walking horses in this area are mostly backyard pets who are only broke to ride,nothing else done with them.i was lucky to end up with my tn walker as she learned everything in a short amount of time.

chika1235 11-11-2009 01:10 PM

as for the trainer i suggested a really well known trainer down here that uses natural horsemanship and i even had a chance to take her to be in a clinton anderson clinic but my aunt said no,that itd be too much money.i dont think she understands that horses cost money,as she has never bought feed,grooming tools,hay,etc. she has used mine.i dont think i can ride it for long as i have a tn walker mix that needs to be started back into jumping again for spring and a mini horse that needs to stay rode and worked with so my 3 yr old couzin can ride her.and i have an 18 month old quarter horse that i just started.im busy all day after school and on weekends at the barn working wiht them all.

kitten_Val 11-11-2009 01:46 PM

Just say "sorry, I'm too busy". That's it. I know it's hard (and I have problems with that myself often), but the skill to say "no" when needed is really handy. :D

justsambam08 11-11-2009 02:02 PM

I agree with kevin. Tell her that she can either cowboy up and kill herself on the horse, send it to a trainer, or that you will help her work with it, with her in the saddle and you on the ground.

JumpingTheMoon 11-11-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justsambam08 (Post 458050)
I agree with kevin. Tell her that she can either cowboy up and kill herself on the horse, send it to a trainer, or that you will help her work with it, with her in the saddle and you on the ground.

I agree with this. I wouldn't ever ask someone else to ride my green horse unless they were a trainer. Simply because I would feel awful, and responsible, if anything bad were to happen.

iridehorses 11-11-2009 02:42 PM

I'm afraid that I disagree with all the advise, as good as it was.

Sell the horse, taking a loss if you need to, and get a horse that she can ride. IMO, someone is going to get seriously hurt with that horse and sending it to a trainer is throwing good money after bad in your case. Your aunt will never ride that horse because she will always have it in her mind that the horse is dangerous.

There comes a time when you have to say that a mistake was made and needs to be corrected. While you are in the process of selling him and finding a new horse, let her take lessons from a professional to help her build confidence. Get a nice horse that is between 10 and 20 years old that has been there and done that.

my 2

luvmyperch 11-11-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 458072)
I'm afraid that I disagree with all the advise, as good as it was.

Sell the horse, taking a loss if you need to, and get a horse that she can ride. IMO, someone is going to get seriously hurt with that horse and sending it to a trainer is throwing good money after bad in your case. Your aunt will never ride that horse because she will always have it in her mind that the horse is dangerous.

There comes a time when you have to say that a mistake was made and needs to be corrected. While you are in the process of selling him and finding a new horse, let her take lessons from a professional to help her build confidence. Get a nice horse that is between 10 and 20 years old that has been there and done that.

my 2

100% agree...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0