The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Weight Gain.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/weight-gain-40383/)

toosexy4myspotz 11-12-2009 09:24 AM

Weight Gain....

6 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to see what you all think about the weight Poco is at right now. I will be able to start working him again soon as his leg is doing awesome. He currently weights 1193 pounds. When I first moved him to the barn he is currently at he weighed 1010 pounds. I dont really want a confo critique but more or less an opinion about his weight. Before his injurgy we have been working alot on poles and in the sand dunes and hes been doing fabulous!

luvs2ride1979 11-12-2009 09:45 AM

His weight looks good to me. He could use some more muscle, but that will come as you work him more. I personally like my horses to be a bit on the lean side. They're all fat right now, but I use round bales, so not a lot I can do about it, lol. I'm working them more, which seems to be helping, but there are only so many hours in the day ;-).

Just like humans, it's healthier for animals to be lean as well. If you can feel his ribs when you gently prod his side, then he's good. If you can feel his ribs when you just lay a hand on his sides, then he needs a little weight.

flamingauburnmustang 11-12-2009 10:00 AM

Awwww! He's gorgeous! I wanna take him home!

I'd say he's got a perfect weight. Nice and rounded backside and belly. That's great. Keep it up.

If your horse goes missing....you know who is responsible..... ; )

toosexy4myspotz 11-12-2009 01:01 PM

Awwww thank you! Poco is my pride and joy and I put everything I have into him. Hes spoilt rotten but yet he is still very well mannered and a gentle giant. I will have had him for six years on December 6th. Everybody falls in love with him when they meet him because he is so sweet and lovable but when it comes to training/riding, he is truly a one-woman horse.