The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Another dressage prospect (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/another-dressage-prospect-403850/)

Zaphyrr 04-28-2014 01:40 AM

Another dressage prospect

Hi guys,

I have just moved into dressage after pleasure riding for my entire life and I have recently purchased an Australian Warmblood gelding. He is lovely and I really don't have aspirations of serious competition at the moment so I don't mind that he will probably never be a superstar, I'm just curious what people think :)
His bloodlines:
Jaybee Lockyer

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...psxqmxqsqt.png

Thanks in advance guys :)

ellygraceee 04-28-2014 06:01 AM

Oh yay! I'm so glad someone on this forum bought him! I know the girl who was selling him and the guy who is riding him in that video. I'm a fan of this horse and I think you'll have a lot of fun with him. :)

blue eyed pony 04-28-2014 06:18 AM

I actually think he's quite lovely. Functionally nice and uphill, powerful back end, nice legs, neck might be set on a touch low but he's beautiful.

I would jump him, personally. But jumping is what I do, so I'm likely to tend towards wanting to jump any horse that looks sound enough. It's just that that CANTER is so lovely and especially when he really sits on his hindquarter so uphill that I can't imagine NOT jumping a horse that canters like that.

He does look like a nice mid-level prospect. I don't know enough about dressage to know if he could go FEI or not but you say you don't aspire to be seriously competitive so that doesn't matter.

I've seen MUCH less nice horses go Medium and win consistently at associate level. But then again at associate basically anything that can do the movements without protesting will do well. Correctness doesn't seem to be as important. I know someone who was competing and winning at Elementary without even knowing what straightness feels like... Associate, he could easy go Advanced. Official... I don't know enough about to say for sure.

Zaphyrr 04-28-2014 06:29 AM

Ellygraceee, I just adore him! I'm so glad I brought him (I was looking for months) and just feel like I really lucked out with him. Even if everyone on here told me he was terrible it wouldn't change anything lol. He tries his heart out for me already, even though we're still getting to know each other. I am very grateful to the original owner for selling him to me :-D
Blue eyed pony, I have popped him over some very small jumps but jumping is not really my forte. He did seem to enjoy it though, however that might just be his 'eager to please' nature!

blue eyed pony 04-28-2014 06:44 AM

To each their own and he will make a lovely dressage horse :) If he was mine I would jump, dressage, and low-level event [him being a warmblood he may not be quick enough to make time in the upper levels of eventing], and he might make a nice show hunter. Too chunky to hack but he's a nice type for hunter.

Finding a horse with a good work ethic is always a blessing. My filly lives to please and she has to be the easiest horse I've ever worked with. So trainable!

Zaphyrr 04-28-2014 06:54 AM

Yes, I say that I will concentrate on low level comp for now but we will see what happens! They make life very easy when they are so agreeable

blue eyed pony 04-28-2014 07:14 AM

Definitely. Magic is a bit of an opinionated redhead at times but hey, I wouldn't have bought a red TB filly if I didn't want to deal with opinionated horses lol!

Zaphyrr 04-28-2014 07:38 AM

What's life without a bit of challenge, right?

blue eyed pony 04-28-2014 08:02 AM

Exactly lol!