The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Best way to bed a stall-walker's stall? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/best-way-bed-stall-walkers-stall-40403/)

My Beau 11-12-2009 04:45 PM

Best way to bed a stall-walker's stall?

I suppose this is horse health - dealing with the ammonia smell in a stall.

I was given a TB mare in July and she is a terrible stall walker. My other 2 horses keep all of their manure in a corner and I can have their stalls spotless in 5-10 minutes. Daisy, on the other hand... everything is kind of ground together and I end having to replace ALL of the bedding every couple of days.

I've been experimenting with the amount of shavings in the stall to see what is easier to clean. So far less has been better.. but I like deep shavings for her, so still working out the kinks.

What do you guys for your stall-walker's stall?? Lots of shavings, not a lot? Deep bedding/litter method?

AlmagroN 11-12-2009 05:16 PM

peat moss. thats what i like for a stall walker.

7Ponies 11-12-2009 05:19 PM

Not a stall walker, but a very wet mare. Dixie had to be stalled a good part of the summer months due to her pasture heaves. She pees a LOT.

I found that mats, bedded with the pine pellets work so well... I'll never go back to regular shavings.

My Beau 11-12-2009 06:39 PM

We have mats and use pine shavings.

She just eats hay, walks a circle, grabs a bite, looks out the window, etc... never just stands there and eats. With all the circles and what-not, everything is mixed together. Manure is pulverized into pieces as big as the shavings. Pee spots end up spread out. She's just messy.

They're only in the stall for bad weather - but right now we're working on day 2 of hurricane ida and it's not supposed to stop until saturday. Getting her stall mostly clean takes about 25 minutes, after sifting every inch with a fine tines fork.

I suppose we'll just keep bedding on the "less is more" idea so we don't waste as much.

Appyt 11-13-2009 12:17 AM

My Qh, Abe was a stall walker. Well he still is when stressed and inside. I don't stall him partly due to that. Circle circle circle constantly. The only way he would stand still was when he was eating. He ate a lot due to walking it off also. The barn owner(before I bought him) would tie him as he would flat out destroy the flooring(packed lime screenings). I don't have a solution for your bedding problem, guess I would go with less bedding and clean it out as you are doing now. Nothing else you can do really. It's only for a few days, right? If you can give him something for stress it would prolly be a good thing.

kevinshorses 11-13-2009 12:21 AM

Bed it any way you want then put her in a pasture and leave her out of her stall.

My Beau 11-13-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 459708)
Bed it any way you want then put her in a pasture and leave her out of her stall.

Ha, I wish. But they're in the small sacrifice paddock for the winter. That thing looks like a river this morning with all the water washing over it. Plus, if they go out on it while it's this wet they tear up what little grass is left in it.