The Horse Forum banner

Two new rescued mares...

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  lillie 
#1 · (Edited)
Meet Ginger and Midnight...

They aren't terribly under weight however Ginger could use a little over her topline and some muscling, nothing a good feed can't fix but Midnight could use over 100 pounds.

Poor Midnight has some pretty mean halter marks, her halter was so tight! It was almost 'stuck' on her and thus left swollen sores.

And Ginger has old sores on her back legs, any idea what it is? They were knee deep in mudd, I'm guessing thats the issue.

See less See more
#4 ·
Plan 1 is to get them fat & happy, have there hooves trimmed, get Midnights face sores healed and figure out whats going on with Gingers back legs... Then start light riding, slowly get them in shape, I was told they have a few riding kinks so work out some training if need be then hopefully next spring find them a LOVING home to adopt out to.

#9 ·
Yes! As a matter of fact they did LOL. I try to change names to something that mean something (Image, Divinity, Zealous, Ambition, Secret, Promise, Solstice are some of the names I've re-named horses) however these weren't to bad. Divinity was "Lolly" ...had to go. Promise was "Ladybug" ...couldn't bring myself to call her that. We've also had things like Cookie, Butterscotch, Buttons, Babycakes and these are the names I cannot stand... So all in all Ginger and Midnight are lookin' good!

They are welcome to name suggestions however!!!!!!?????

Your display photo.... Bad mare day? :)

#12 ·
They are welcome to name suggestions however!!!!!!?????

Your display photo.... Bad mare day? :)
I'm not too great at names myself unless I meet the horse -- sometimes my animals go weeks without a proper name. Takes a while to come up with one that fits. All in all, you're right Ginger and Midnight work.

Photo? na -- just my sister fooling around. I really should update it.

#10 ·
Aw poor girls..... but it doesn't look too bad.... nothing time, love, and lots of food wont fix. Good luck.

as for names
for the black mare: Magic, Mystery, Jessie, Sky, Branwyn
for the sorrel mare: Rosalie, Amber, Sorsha, Rory, Sahara

Good luck

#13 ·
The names sound fine lol :D
Oh, those sores look nasty. I've seen a bull that had a halter on too tight and he had deep cuts all of his face for weeks...they never fully went a way, but they got better..
Good lucky with them, they look like a sweet pair of horses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.