The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   No Stirrups! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/no-stirrups-40437/)

dreamrideredc 11-12-2009 09:53 PM

No Stirrups!

Hi guys!
I have been trying to make my legs stronger and stiller, just better over all, so of course no stirrup work comes to mind...
I HATE IT! It is so painful, and I feel like I have no body control at all. Plus, I always wuss out, so I'm considering taking the stirrups off completely so I have no choice.

Alright, so dumb question, even though I'm bouncing like crazy and feel sloppy, I should still continue to do no stirrup work, right? I mean, afterall, that's the only way I'll get better. Also, any tips on keeping a stiller body/leg while doing this?

Thanks so much! :-)

ridergirl23 11-12-2009 10:10 PM

relax, think of yourself as sitting deep into the saddle...do yu ride dressage or jumping? yes, continue, haha my instructor once stole my stirrup leathers for about a week, i was about to kill her after about two days, lol. when i was little my mom made me learn to ride without stirrups, i HATED ehr for it then, but i love her for doing that now! haha i would also recomend riding bareback, i find bareback a little more fun! good luck!

ShutUpJoe 11-12-2009 10:16 PM

Go home and put a pillow between your legs. Squeeze the pillow with those muscles and then release, repeat. It works for me.

SorrelHorse 11-13-2009 12:44 AM

Just ride bareback. It'll aggravate you if your in the saddle but without one you have to grip with your legs. I rode nothing bareback for awhile without competing and GOD were my legs strong after that!

GypsyJumper 11-13-2009 01:34 AM

No stirrups is a brilliant idea! Our instructor doesn't make us do it every lesson, but once every few weeks we will have a bit of riding without stirrups - and yes, it does kill us (or so we say :P) but it is definitely beneficial! I'd say, go for it but don't try and ride for long periods without stirrups to begin with!

Start with shorter 'no stirrup' rides at first, maybe 5 or 10 minutes or whenever you start to hurt enough to have to stop. You'll feel like your bouncing a lot at first, but as others have said, try and relax, sit deep and lean back if you have to - as my instructor would say, belly buttons up!

You'll get there, just keep increasing the time you ride without stirrups, and in no time you'll be riding stirrupless effortlessly! :P
Isn't it the best feeling to take your stirrups back after riding without them and to feel you need to put your stirrups down a few holes? :D

IheartPheobe 11-13-2009 03:34 PM

Haha, you will get used to it.
My old instructor was really big on no stirrups. I rode no stirrups so much, almost every day and I was soo good at it.
Kind of slacked off after she left.. but rode bareback & no stirrups a little here and there and have developed a pretty good seat.. still really hurts to ride D no stirrups for some reason. I think it may be his saddle because it's not like I'm off balance.. it just hurrts. haha.

dreamrideredc 11-14-2009 08:38 AM

Yeah, we usually do no stirrups once around the ring, sometimes longer.

*I jump by the way! :D

gypsygirl 11-14-2009 09:59 AM

my old trainer took my stirrups away for the winter !! it was hard, but i definitely improved from it !!

you can also have someone put your horse on the lunge line & practice with no stirrups or no hands =]

1dog3cats17rodents 11-14-2009 05:02 PM

Breathe deeply and relax. If you stiffen, you will bounce. Even if you can't post yet, you should at the very least be able to sit the trot. Two pointing without stirrups will make your horse happy (no bouncing) and really strenghten your legs

I love, love, love no stirrups! It is so much easier to sit the trot. Plus, my horse is huge and hard to wrap my legs around. It's much easier to get him moving off my legs and listening. He used to dislike it, but now that he is okay I ride stirrupless at *least* 15 minutes a week. I find it fun and I can WTC just fine, but I've never actually found it to strenghten my legs?