The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tom Thumb Bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tom-thumb-bit-40472/)

letsgetserious 11-13-2009 02:45 PM

Tom Thumb Bit?
 
Just wanted to know what you guys think about it. Too harsh to ever use? Only to be used in certain situations? Okay to use if used correctly? What is the correct way to use one? Is there even a correct way?

Sootie 11-13-2009 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I find that they work on horses that can be a little bit headstrong. I don't use the bigger ones like this http://www.tackranch.com/255123.jpg though. I prefer to use the smaller ones like this Attachment 16571 I don't think there is any particular way to use them.

iridehorses 11-13-2009 04:24 PM

Which Tom Thumb? The American or the European?

If the American, then: Today's Horse - The Trouble with Tom Thumb

Spastic_Dove 11-13-2009 04:59 PM

I've had horses that have gone well in them (Western/Amrican TT) but they're not really a very good bit.

letsgetserious 11-13-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 460271)
Which Tom Thumb? The American or the European?

If the American, then: Today's Horse - The Trouble with Tom Thumb

That article was really great, thanks.

Sunny06 11-13-2009 06:17 PM

^ Was JUST about to post that link! :D My personal favorite ;)

Along with.. Trouble with Tom Thumb

Honeysuga 11-13-2009 07:37 PM

I honestly cant think of a single situation where a knowledgeable, competent rider would ever need to use a tom thumb bit. I personally strongly dislike them and would never advise anyone to use one. Even with a very headstrong animal they are unnecessary, simply go back to basic stopping and manners and practice till they get it, no need for a tom thumb. Just my opinion!

kevinshorses 11-13-2009 08:31 PM

I don't have one with a straight shank but I have used a snaffle mouth curb bit many times. I have seen many horses ridden in them that were perfectly happy.

RiosDad 11-13-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 460510)
I have used a snaffle mouth curb bit many times.
.


That's a mouth full. It is either a snaffle or a curb. The point of attachment of the reins determine whether it is a curb or a snaffle. NOt the mouth piece.

As far as the bit I see absolutely nothing wrong with it and and nearly every western horse wears a curb bit.
With time I hope to use one in place of my snaffle bit which I train with.

RiosDad 11-13-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeysuga (Post 460446)
I honestly cant think of a single situation where a knowledgeable, competent rider would ever need to use a tom thumb bit. I personally strongly dislike them and would never advise anyone to use one. Even with a very headstrong animal they are unnecessary, simply go back to basic stopping and manners and practice till they get it, no need for a tom thumb. Just my opinion!


Go to the western section of this forum and look at any western horse and you will see nearly every single one wears a curb bit. You will also find that most western horses have a much more relaxed way of going then the english equivalent..
Bits are not harsh, it is the hands of the rider that make them harsh or gentle.
Everything can not be fixed by going back to basics.
Not in the real world at least.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0