The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Buying a foal in utero? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/buying-foal-utero-40482/)

JumpingTheMoon 11-13-2009 04:49 PM

Buying a foal in utero?

Has anyone ever bought a foal in utero? I'm considering it right now and though I know it's done a lot I've not done it myself. The price and contract covers LFG, plus handling, training and vet care til weaning at 6 months. Also covers if there's something wrong with the foal I get another at no extra cost.

Opinions?

kevinshorses 11-13-2009 04:53 PM

I don't see the advantage versus waiting till it hits the ground. As far as that goes it's probably a bunch cheaper to buy a yearling.

jimmy 11-13-2009 04:57 PM

i havent but i know plenty that have generally when they want that particular breeding line and willing to take a chance on the sex of the foal so a colt may work out dear or a filly cheap

ShutUpJoe 11-13-2009 05:03 PM

I think it'd be awesome if you are going to buy a weanling anyway. You cut a lot of costs and you get the surprise! BUT you also end up with whatever hits the ground.

JumpingTheMoon 11-13-2009 05:05 PM

Actually, this would work out cheaper than buying a yearling. That was the other way I looked at it. Which surprised me quite a bit. Colt or filly doesn't bother me so that's not an issue at least.

smrobs 11-13-2009 07:58 PM

I personally wouldn't. Though the basic idea is that it would save you money in the long run, what do you do if the foal is born and there is nothing wrong with it, but doesn't have the confo that you need for your discipline? What if the temperment just isn't right and you don't get along?

I would much rather buy a weanling/yearling (or better yet, an untrained 3 year old) that I can watch and mess with to get an idea of his personality and the way that he travels. With a foal in utero, you never know if you will get what you want.

1dog3cats17rodents 11-13-2009 08:22 PM

Only from really, really good lines. Obviously it's not a sure thing even with the best parents. But I wouldn't risk it from "decent" or even just good parents.

JumpingTheMoon 11-13-2009 09:28 PM

Excellent replies! Thank you!

justsambam08 11-14-2009 09:05 PM

Usually, buying a foal in utero is cheaper than buying a yearling....the price goes up once someone has spent time to really get groundwork laid in to them.

I personally would only do it if I was looking for something specific (like loud color or a good jumper horse), and only from well-established lines. How many times has the dam foaled before? You don't want her to have too many babies, but definitely see if you can find some examples of the dam/sire combination to look at. Also it helps to see the other babies temperament and conformation.

But it sounds like the contract thats drawn up covers everything, so if you decide to go through with it, the only thing you'd lose is an extra year if the foal was somehow sick or malformed.