The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Wondering If I should clip...... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/wondering-if-i-should-clip-40506/)

HorsesAreForever 11-13-2009 11:11 PM

Wondering If I should clip......

Since im starting to work Chance a lot harder and its about 40 degrees at teh hightest right now and pretty soon going to be below 0.... shes already sweating so much that it takes 1/2 an hour to even get her 1/2 dried off with a fleece cooler...

Im wondering if I should clip her...... if so What clip would be best..... I was thinking just a trace... but Ive never done one before.... and would I need a blanket with a neck peice....Right now I just have a cooler for her... her old winter blanket got torn apart by the new herd last winter.

Or should I just lessen the work load.........

I dont mind cooling her out for that long..... but Im worried about her getting sick. Also is it to late 2 clip????? Shes got a good winter coat coming in already

Thanks in advance! :)

gypsygirl 11-13-2009 11:38 PM

its never too late to clip IMO ! but if you are going to clip, you will need to blanket her. i like trace clips a lot too ! they look good & theres no reason to get your horse totally naked if youre not showing a lot.

do you have a heated arena ? where do you ride ?

HorsesAreForever 11-14-2009 12:45 AM

Yups the arena is going to be heated once the snow starts to fall and its an indoor lol

I might wait till I have money to buy a blanket with a neck peice if im going 2...

Ive never done a clip before.... besides muzzle and fetlocks

gypsygirl 11-14-2009 12:50 AM

do you have body clippers ?
if your indoor is heated i would def clip ! but have someone who knows how to body clip help you

HorsesAreForever 11-14-2009 12:57 AM

Well I know my Barn Owner has 2 pairs of horse clippers. Ill see if my barn owner knows how to do a trace clip.......

Now i gotta save for a blanket with a neck peice... lol

MaderaTB 11-14-2009 01:14 AM

I think for this situation a trace clip would be best for her. And a blanket would be required for any clipped horse. Because as soon as you do they loose their protection from their coat.

WelcomeStranger28 11-14-2009 01:22 AM

Get someone who has clipped a horse before, and find out if your horse has ever been clipped before. Some need drugs cause they are scared of the spund that the clippers make.

I think that you should clip him cause he will get too hot if you are working him HARDER and in an Indoor arena!! (God I wish I haad one!!!)

Good luck !!!

gypsygirl 11-14-2009 01:24 AM

i find a lip twitch works well with horses who dont like to be body clipped. i know a lot of people disagree with this, but they can fight drugs pretty easily if they want to, so they may not have any affect. a twitch also releases endorphines

HorsesAreForever 11-14-2009 01:42 AM

Chance is only 6 and shes only been worked with as long as ive had her[since she was 4 1/2]... she was neglected all her life till I got her.

Chance is 100% fine with clippers though lol she likes to try and play with them :P The first time I clipped her she flipped out that was a year ago but now she just falls asleep for muzzle,bridle path and fetlock clipping either that or shes trying to bite them lolol.

If she has a problem with it I would work with the problem at hand rather then force her [yes IMO twitching and drugging unless for emergency] is forcing a horse to do something they arent ready for.

Ill ask around and find out who knows how to do a trace clip.

Having an indoor is pretty much a must in Maine LOL