The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Mane and Tail Help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mane-tail-help-40545/)

ladybugsgirl 11-14-2009 04:35 PM

Mane and Tail Help

Ok first off is there any possible way to grow manes and tails longer than what they are or is it a breed thing. Also how often so you brush your horses manes and tails. I have a tail bag but my mare finds a way to get her tail out of it. Any suggestions

WarPony 11-14-2009 10:23 PM

What I do is keep my horse's tail (Not mane, I keep his cut) conditioned and detangled as much as I can.

I use the products Canter (Canter Silk Mane & Tail Conditioner from SmartPak Equine) and Survivor (Eqyss Survivor Detangler and Shine from SmartPak Equine) detangler and shine.

They work VERY well, one of the best. It's also healthy for your horse's hair, unlike a lot of products. Another thing, is if you cut the bottom of your horse's tail, it will give it time to let all the little hairs catch up. So, it'll be thicker.

Wash it.
Keep it detangled.
And bang the bottom.

My horse had a really crappy tail, but now it's beautiful and thick. :)

ezhuntin 11-14-2009 10:30 PM

I once met a man who ever day, washed and left in conditioner in his horses tail. Then he braided it and then put him in his stall. When he was turned out his tail was kept in a bag. That horses had a gorgeous, long tail. He did it to ALL of his stud horses. I have pictures if you would like to see.

TwisterRush 11-14-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezhuntin (Post 461416)
I once met a man who every day, washed and left in conditioner in his horses tail..

I wouldn't do it everyday, as it would dry the horses tail out and never mind how much work that would be for every horse...

MN Tigerstripes 11-14-2009 11:26 PM

You need to find a person with a Morgan show horse and ask them, those horses have ridiculously long tails.

Otherwise from what I've heard and seen some horses have the "hair" gene and some don't. I've heard MTG works great, but I've never tried it. I almost never brush either manes or tails, just pic out the twigs & crud and brush them out when I wash them (w/plenty of conditioner). Trim it high enough so that you don't have to worry about them stepping on it and pulling it out when they back up. Soda has a great tail, but he seems to have the "hair" gene, so I don't think it counts. I trim 3-4" off several times a year and it's still fetlock height most the time and really thick.

ezhuntin 11-14-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwisterRush (Post 461459)
I wouldn't do it everyday, as it would dry the horses tail out and never mind how much work that would be for every horse...

That's why you leave in the conditioner, it helps everything be all shiny and keeps that oil. Its the same if you wash your hair everyday. You use conditioner and your hair doesn't loose a lot of oil. I was just saying what that man did, and all his studs looked awesome!

TwisterRush 11-14-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezhuntin (Post 461469)
That's why you leave in the conditioner, it helps everything be all shiny and keeps that oil. Its the same if you wash your hair everyday. You use conditioner and your hair doesn't loose a lot of oil. I was just saying what that man did, and all his studs looked awesome!

alrighty, but i still wouldnt wash it out THAT much, leave in conditioner u dont even really need to wash the tail, just spray it in and brush the tail... but you know whatever he thinks is best, but i get it.. i wouldnt even do that to my hair THAT much, otherwise it just looks ew. Lol

Maverick101 11-14-2009 11:47 PM

You can add some Ground Flax about 1/2 cup to your horses feed. Flax does wonders for mane and tail growth and coat condition in general.
It takes time so you must be patient, but I saw results w my horses within 3 months with coat condition, and saw tail and main and forelock growth in about 6

ladybugsgirl 11-16-2009 01:58 PM

I would love to see the pictures of the studs ezhuntin

dashygirl 11-21-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes (Post 461465)

Otherwise from what I've heard and seen some horses have the "hair" gene and some don't.

I can vouch for this - one of my mare's tails grows like mad if you just brush it every few days, the other, it doesn't matter what you do, her tail will not grow a centimeter! I also had a mare several years ago who had a short tail, it didn't sit past her hocks, and the whole 8-ish years I had her it didn't grow either.
So I would argue it does depends on the horse - not the breed - because I've only owned QHs and I've seen drastic differences from horse to horse.