The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My Horse Went Lame :'( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-horse-went-lame-40547/)

SpiritJordanRivers 11-14-2009 04:42 PM

My Horse Went Lame :'(

My 6 year old Tennsee Walking Horse gelding Spirit is lame. He's been sore for the past couple of weeks. He broke his left hind fetlock when he was a weanling, so we thought that he was just sore because the wheather changed and we had run out of his joint supplement. But the vet came out on Tuesday. He did the thing where he held his leg up for a minute stretching it and then after the minute was up, I trotted him off. When we flexed his fetlock he was fine, but then we flexed his stifle and his hock and he trotted off on 3 legs it hurt him so bad. Then we prayed over him on Wednesday and the vet came out on Thursday and told us that he had arthritis in his left hock and possibly a stress fracture. On a scale of 1 to 10, he was a 3, but he's still SO young! The vet injected his hock with synovial fluid, steriods, and antibiotics. He also has 2 joint supplements and needs Bute. Now he needs AT LEAST 6 weeks of rest, then we x-ray him again. The vet said that he's probably gonna need 3 months of rest and during that time all I can do with him is hand graze him and groom him. This is really depressing and I don't know what to do . . . :cry:

redneckprincess70 11-14-2009 06:45 PM

I'm sorry you've had such bad news. Keep us posted on his progress.

sillybunny11486 11-14-2009 09:43 PM

3 months isnt bad at all. it will give you lots of time to groom him. i used to board at a barn where a lesson horse fractured his hock, he was on stall rest for almost a year.

gypsygirl 11-14-2009 09:45 PM

that sucks ! stall rest is hard =[ my sisters horse was on stall rest for a year & a half, i hope that doesnt happen to your guy