The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   crafts to sell? (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/crafts-sell-405474/)

starsnosigns 04-30-2014 03:29 PM

crafts to sell?

what are some crafts to sell? I'm low on money and can't find work and don't have enough education to get a good job...so what's a good craft to sell online? I tried paintings but it doesn't sell so well. What sold best for you?

Zexious 04-30-2014 08:02 PM

Model horse related things. You can repaint or resculpt them, and if you're good they'll sell for a lot. Or tack for model horses.

waresbear 04-30-2014 08:18 PM

Braid horse hair jewelry, custom stuff, where the owner sends in some hair from their horse and you make into a bracelet for them.

starsnosigns 05-01-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zexious (Post 5292130)
Model horse related things. You can repaint or resculpt them, and if you're good they'll sell for a lot. Or tack for model horses.

where do i buy model horses?

DancingArabian 05-01-2014 06:23 PM

Thing is you have to be able to do the craft very well, otherwise it won't look good and people won't buy it.

The other poster meant model horses like Breyers. People go nuts over custom stuff for those guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 05-01-2014 07:09 PM

One of the fastest ways I've found to make a little bit of money is go to good will, run down flea markets, helping hands, and garage sells in retirement communities and buy vintage costume jewelry, clothing, jeans, purses, and handbags.

Then resale on eBay or repurpose old jewelry pieces and sell on etsy. I'm sure there are new sites as those are a bit flooded with "vintageish" junk.
Posted via Mobile Device

horseNpony 05-01-2014 07:25 PM

If you can paint/resculpt model horses well a single one can earn you hundreds of dollars. I've seen good customs going for $100-$200 each, resculpts $100-$500 even. If you buy and paint a resin, they can go for heaps, I've seen them go for $1000 at times, but $300 is more the market you will see. You could sculpt horses from scratch and have a resin line made from your model, not sure how you do that but I'm sure theres something about it on google. You can buy cheap model horses from MH$P or ebay.

Like FlyGap said, buy and resell old stuff. You never know when you might find a bargain and sell it for a fair bit. If you have anything you no longer need that may be worth something sell it.

Search around on etsy and see if theres anything on there that inspires you. You could try make jewellery, things out of resin or perhaps drawing commissions.

Nutty Saddler 05-07-2014 02:42 AM

Try leatherwork - In America there is a huge market for well made gun-holsters etc
If you look at the leatherworker forum you can get an idea of what others are making.

Sony 06-19-2014 10:12 PM

Soapmaking

It's a blast! Just be careful when using lye...

tinyliny 06-21-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseNpony (Post 5298794)
If you can paint/resculpt model horses well a single one can earn you hundreds of dollars. I've seen good customs going for $100-$200 each, resculpts $100-$500 even. If you buy and paint a resin, they can go for heaps, I've seen them go for $1000 at times, but $300 is more the market you will see. You could sculpt horses from scratch and have a resin line made from your model, not sure how you do that but I'm sure theres something about it on google. You can buy cheap model horses from MH$P or ebay.

Like FlyGap said, buy and resell old stuff. You never know when you might find a bargain and sell it for a fair bit. If you have anything you no longer need that may be worth something sell it.

Search around on etsy and see if theres anything on there that inspires you. You could try make jewellery, things out of resin or perhaps drawing commissions.

Seriously? Man, I am in the wrong market. I do original horse or pet portraits and they take hours, but I cannot sell for that kind of money.