The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Maybe there's no hope? *long rant* (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/maybe-theres-no-hope-%2Along-rant%2A-40557/)

IheartPheobe 11-14-2009 07:46 PM

Maybe there's no hope? *long rant*

-sigh- Diesel overjumps. It is a fact. He'll jump a crossrail like it is 2'6 or even more. Same with tiny veritcals. I'm not sure how he does with higher jumps but have taken him 2'3 and had the same problem.
He does this for everyone. Not just me. I try so hard to work with it. I don't want to give him up, I really don't. I thought it might go away. Or maybe I was riding him wrong. I don't know.
My instructor says he had an accident a while ago, and is afraid to knock a pole. (Therefore, he overjumps everything.) She owns him. She doesn't know what to do with him. He is such a pefect dressage horse, but jumping.. is pretty hopeless. She wasn't even going to use him in lessons this year. She wants to sell him/lease him out, but no one really wants him. A girl leased him last year, but she has another horse now.
I can't afford to lease him, and I also can't afford to pay for a horse that I can't work with a lot.
I'm not sure if he can be helped. I definately know I'm at wits end. I don't know what to do.. I love him so much, but I have come to terms with the fact I don't want to jump him. This doesn't mean I don't want to ride him.. of course I do. He's amazing. But once we jump, I want to get off. I can't ride his jump, and I'm not learning anything. I guess I've got to make a choice. :| I don't want to give up on him.. really, I don't.. but there are so many better riders that have tried and failed. . and I just don't know what do.

eventerdrew 11-14-2009 08:11 PM

how old is he and how long has he been jumping? some horses can overjump for years

IheartPheobe 11-14-2009 08:56 PM

I'm not sure how old. I'm guessing bewtween 9-16? Pretty wide rang but it's hard to pinpoint because he's so calm and lazy, but not run down easily like an older horse might be...
He's been jumping most of his life.

MIEventer 11-14-2009 11:00 PM

Well, maybe this is a sign that you should move into a discipline that he can do.

He is obviously trying his heart out for you, and doing what he can to please his human, but maybe it's time to take a step back and ask yourself what if fair for you, and what is fair for him.

I think you should do what is right :) for the both of you :)

XivoShowjumper 11-15-2009 09:44 AM

i think it would be interesting to see him over a large fence....... is it possible to video him over something like 2'6 and then again over like 4' or higher?? that would be cool for the post.
As MIEventer pointed out. maybe he's the right horse for dressage and you could concentrate on that - or look for another horse?

gypsygirl 11-15-2009 01:40 PM

is that the paint horse from your other threads ? he didnt look like he was over jumping to me

flamingauburnmustang 11-15-2009 06:22 PM

Has he been over jumping for long? And how often do you jump him?

Sorry for the questions, LOL, but maybe if he has been over jumping for just a little while, maybe after lots of training and jumping he will calm down abit and realize the jumps won't eat him, and then he will just jump normally.

If you aren't comfortable jumping him often, then maybe ask your trainer to jump him for you for abit and see how that goes. :smile:

equineeventer3390 11-15-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XivoShowjumper (Post 461629)
i think it would be interesting to see him over a large fence....... is it possible to video him over something like 2'6 and then again over like 4' or higher?? that would be cool for the post.
As MIEventer pointed out. maybe he's the right horse for dressage and you could concentrate on that - or look for another horse?

That's what I was thinking too. Free jump him over something 3' and higher (if he is fit enough for that height). That would rule out if it was rider or tack related (even though you said he does it to everyone, still could be rider). Also, he may not do it over bigger jumps. Maybe he just wants to jump bigger?? haha. It could be a good thing if someone can work with it, he could have alot of scope and potential to go really high. Do you have any pictures?

equineeventer3390 11-15-2009 08:07 PM

From your last post about him you said he was pretty green to jumping... Also according to your thread you've only had him a few weeks.. That is definately not long enough to tell if he'll make a jumper or not, just give him more time. Also, try riding through a tight grid of 3 or 4 jumps with canter poles between. Like trot pole, jump, 2 canter poles, jump, 2 canter poles, jump. etc. Or even without the poles. When he is in a grid he has to adjust his stride to fit the grid and if the striding is short, he'll have a hard time over jumping and he may figure out that he doesnt HAVE to jump that big. If you can't handle his jump, find someone who can. Why can't your trainer ride and work with him?? Also like someone else said, if jumping isn't his thing then just ride him dressage, or sell him as a dressage horse.

dunsjump 11-22-2009 04:38 PM

My horse overjumped for a year and a half. It's an excitement thing I think among other things, it wears off when they aren't so darn excited and have decided the fillers don't bite and aren't going to eat them.