The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Any really bad accidents (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/any-really-bad-accidents-40578/)

Phantomcolt18 11-14-2009 10:23 PM

Any really bad accidents

What spiked this is my friend recently went over her horses head in a barrel run and the horse jumpedher and clipped her head(she's fine only a few scrapes) but i was wondering what some peoples' worst accidents were?

flamingauburnmustang 11-16-2009 08:37 AM

I didn't personally have a really bad accident, but I remember my ex-riding instructer's mom was riding a horse called Flame. The only person that Flame allowed to ride him at that time was my ex-riding instructer. Anyway, her mom was riding Flame and the next minute he took off bucking like mad and her mom fell off and ended up with a fractured hip and broken collarbone...ouch....

After a while he learnt to trust other people and even I had ridden him a few times. He died a few months ago of African Horse Sickness... :cry:

chesterh 11-16-2009 02:06 PM

I have one. Mostly based on my ignorance. I thought I was hot stuff and got a REALLY nicely bred 3 y/o green broke palomino filly. I had had years of experience but never with really young horses. I had been riding her for a month or so, she was very gentle and I never had any problems beside a mild crow hop or two.
THEN she got laid off with strangles- from her vaccine.
I left her off for a month and then took her in the round pen. I hopped on her with a loose rein like I always had before, not snubbed up like a green horse should be (me being cocky). Something spooked her, I think someone else's lunge whip cracking in a neighboring round pen, and she took off. My reins were so loose I couldn't get any contact. I had my left foot hung up in the stirrup and she dragged me around the round pen. I cracked my head on the wood siding and got knocked out.

Heres the worst part: I thought it was a fluke and 5 minutes later did it again. More snubbed up reins but this time she was already way scared and we had a repeat. Another knock out.

I ended up at the ER with cracked ribs and a reinjury to my knee. I never told them I got knocked out.

Ink 11-16-2009 06:05 PM

Ouch guys!

I haven't had a horribly bad fall so far. The worst one was when I was out trail riding with a friend. We were on young horses, but they had been fine the entire ride and on the way back we decided to swap horses. Her stirrups were too short for me, so I just didn't bother with them. A few minutes later some birds flew out of the bushes next to us and spooked the horses. I ended up rolling off and landed underneath my horse. She tried to jump over me but ended up stepping on my leg. After a couple seconds to recover, I was fine and able to make it back to the house. But I did have a pretty purple hoof print on my calf for the next few weeks :P

SuperStarsSugar 11-16-2009 06:49 PM

Back when I first got my horse Sugar, before I realized that her saddle had some pressure points that were causing her severe back pain, I was riding a jump course in a lesson, and Sugar was misbehaving. My instructor thought she was just being a brat and didn't look for any pain related causes even though it was out of character for Sugar to behave badly. I was 11, and didn't know about saddle fit. Well, we were going over a jump, and in midair, I feel Sugar hump up her back and crank her neck down. Needless to say, we hit the ground bucking, which soon turned into a full on bolt-and-buck scenario. She slammed on the brakes at the end of the arena and turned sharply and before I knew it, I was flying a** over teakettle towards the fence. I landed hanging upside down, with half of my body on one side of the fence and half on the other side. It was dramatic. I had lower back problems for MONTHS after that one. Tit for tat though, because Sugar had back problems too. We're both squared away now though, in case you wanted to know:)

flamingauburnmustang 11-16-2009 06:53 PM

Shame superstarssugar...that sucks.....do you still have her?

ChevyPrincess 11-16-2009 07:07 PM

Wow guys! Really bad accidents! I have been very lucky! The worst thing that happened to me, I had a stubborn gelding, and my instructor told me to yank his head around as he was trying to take off, and then he started going backwards really fast, and tripped over himself and fell on top of me. He was heavy! The horn and pommel of my saddle slammed into my pelvis bone, I couldn't get up. It was all bruised down there and I didn't go to the doctor, but she put horse ligament medicine on it to ease the tension of my muscles. Worked wonders!

I have never fallen off, or anything like that happened since...

WelcomeStranger28 11-16-2009 07:27 PM

I don't have many bad ones but my mum does!!
She used to ride a horse called Remington, Remi for short. He was gorgeous, you might see a photo in my albums, but any ways..... We were at our first ever Pony Club day. I wasnt riding but mum was. They were doing troop drill where you do a sigle file and then pairs and things like that. The horse in front of her bucked and hit Remi in the face, He bucked reared and spun round all at the same time. Mum knew she couldn't hold on so she let go, and put her hand out to save her, her wrist snapped then and there and the ambulance was already on the way. She had surgery and has a metal plate in her arm now. After the doctors said she could start riding again, we went out to see the horses. Remi had just been clipped that day, so he had a spiky feeling when mum was riding him, he bucked her off and she lande4d on her face and broke her nose. She thought that she would never ride a horse again!!! She is all right now and has a horse called Karro who has done Eventing, campdrafting and Pony Club!

masatisan 11-16-2009 07:41 PM

Three (or maybe four) years ago I went to a week-long residential riding camp. I was doing western games on a very round pony with terrible balance and a hackmore that instead of having the reins attached to the shanks, had them tied to the noseband (pretty much a glorified halter).

It was the first ride of the week, we went through every pattern in the book until finally, we did the clover pattern. It was (and still is) my favorite, and I was ready to rip that poney 'round those barrels. At our turn we made the first perfectly, nailed the second, galloped to the final and I just could not get her balanced at all. Her foot slipped in the loose dust and she fell on me. I knew right away nothing was broken, so I began to get up. My instructor yelled at me to stay put. But by the time she ran over to me, I was already up.

I caught my horse, mounted, and cantered back to the start where I was bombarded with questions by the other campers.

That night I was terrified of what I would see when I woke up in the morning. I thought "its going to be hideous, all black and blue!"

When I woke up, I saw nothing. It was swollen and painful, but it didn't look bruised. So, I stayed, I avoided running, it was too painful, but I was fine riding.

By the end of the week, my lower thigh looked hideously deformed. Walking was no longer painful, but it was still very uncomfortable. My mom took me to the hospital, and I was told I had a liter of blood accumulated from broken blood vessels, swollen and damaged large blood vessels, permanent nerve damage, muscle damage, and serious risk of life threatening clots. Also a water pocket under the knee cap making my knee go "pop" every time I bent my knee.

Hows that for camp souvenirs?

kevinshorses 11-16-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesterh (Post 462889)
I have one. Mostly based on my ignorance. I thought I was hot stuff and got a REALLY nicely bred 3 y/o green broke palomino filly. I had had years of experience but never with really young horses. I had been riding her for a month or so, she was very gentle and I never had any problems beside a mild crow hop or two.
THEN she got laid off with strangles- from her vaccine.
I left her off for a month and then took her in the round pen. I hopped on her with a loose rein like I always had before, not snubbed up like a green horse should be (me being cocky). Something spooked her, I think someone else's lunge whip cracking in a neighboring round pen, and she took off. My reins were so loose I couldn't get any contact. I had my left foot hung up in the stirrup and she dragged me around the round pen. I cracked my head on the wood siding and got knocked out.

Heres the worst part: I thought it was a fluke and 5 minutes later did it again. More snubbed up reins but this time she was already way scared and we had a repeat. Another knock out.

I ended up at the ER with cracked ribs and a reinjury to my knee. I never told them I got knocked out.

That's the reason that I make my kids ride in slip on western boots.