The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Anyone used an Australian saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/anyone-used-australian-saddle-40585/)

bamagal 11-15-2009 12:45 AM

Anyone used an Australian saddle?

I am thinking about buying an aussie saddle but have never ridden in one. Our local tack shops don't carry them nor do I know anyone who has one to try out. I haven't ridden in years and from what I have read the aust. saddle has a deeper seat and helps you stay in the saddle better. If anyone has one or have ridden in one some info would be wonderful!!! Thanks for your help!!! Happy Trails!!!

snoggle 11-15-2009 02:59 PM

I'm a fairly new rider and we only ride on trails so after much research I ordered an Aussie saddle. I love it, I always feel so slouchy in a western saddle and I definitely feel secure in my Aussie. The other people I ride with will complain about being sore on a long ride when I'm still comfy.

I bought a cheap, used one initially and my horse hated it. Then I searched around for a while and bought one on line and sent in a whither tracing so I was sure it would fit. Check out www.downunderweb.com. That's who I bought from - they give you lots of fitting help and have wonderful customer service. My horse seems to like this one pretty well and I think it fits her quite nicely.

Also, check out anything you think you might buy on www.horsetackreview.com. Australian saddles aren't for everyone, my husband isn't a fan. I think some of the online stores will let you "rent" a demo saddle to try out, you just pay for shipping, but I'm not sure.

Call the different companies and ask lots of questions - I think I called 3 or 4 different ones and they were always happy to help!

Good luck!
Sarah

snoggle 11-15-2009 03:11 PM

The other good one is www.aussiesaddle.com. Those two have the most stuff and lots of info. Another company, Kate's, wasn't rated as well in the things I've read, but I haven't used or seen any of their stuff.

wild_spot 11-15-2009 03:54 PM

Do a search of the archives for Australian saddles/Stock saddles. I've written pages of information from an Australian who rides in one - I can't be bothered typing it out again!

Sunny06 11-15-2009 04:09 PM

I love them. Very deep seat. You are NOT comin' out of it! :D

sillybunny11486 11-15-2009 04:14 PM

just going to post this topic myself! how does sizing work? anyone know. im a 16.5-17 in my c/c saddle. (ive never ridden in a wester saddle, i figured an aussie saddle would be in between the two.)

snoggle 11-15-2009 05:29 PM

I don't know how the sizing compares to other saddles, but the at least one of the two websites above gives sizing info based on your weight and height.

XivoShowjumper 11-15-2009 08:58 PM

because they are deep seated they are sized similar to dressage saddles- now when u say Aussie- i assume u mean a poley? not a fender? or half breed?