The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Jumping critique from the show (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/jumping-critique-show-40588/)

charliBum 11-15-2009 02:25 AM

Jumping critique from the show

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pict...hi-p-sj-40577/

and nzequine > Home --> photos --> gallery --> north island --> waihi --> pics 187 - 190

horseluver50 11-15-2009 03:25 AM

The thing that sticks out most to me, is his high head. I think you are pulling on his face too much.
To get a better result over the fences, do a couple big halfhalts with the outside rein to get him collected over the jumps :)

mayfieldk 11-15-2009 04:06 AM

Need more dressage. A lot of those jumps looked like accidents waiting to happen--you'll quickly kill the 'try' in your horse if you keep putting him in those kinds of situations.

HorsesAreForever 11-15-2009 04:11 AM

okay I didnt watch more then 35 seconds of that... you deff need a lot more work on flat, and I would probably work over lower fences for a while! Once of these days your guys just gonna crash through the jump....

He has talent with some work you'll be great!

XivoShowjumper 11-15-2009 08:20 AM

dear god you pulled that first rail like 20m!!!!!!!!! firstly don't let him through your hands, make them softer and use seat... as it appeared that u were out of the saddle more often than not- try and relax in the saddle a bit more- let him round beneath you and establish a rhythm (ie. MORE DRESSAGE!). that will stop you have to drag and balance on his mouth to get corners and slow him before the fence.try a drop or the flash on a hanovarian to stop him gaping, will give you a bit more control too if he can't escape the pressure ;).
the fact that he pulled alot of the verticals is showing that he needs balance and impulsion behind. Impulsion doesn't mean faster, i would suggest lots of grid work... a great one for him would be ' ground rail, bounce, 1s, 2s, bounce' also ... just typing as i'm thinking here.... a few canter poles before and after a low vertcal fence (2'6ish would prob be a good height for him).

i'm under the impression that the last course on the vid is a topscore or similar so i understand speed is a major factor... but was that the last course of the day? because he was jumping much better after getting into a rythm and knowing what he's doing..

sorry if i was a bit harsh.. or offended you but mean well ;)

charliBum 11-15-2009 01:17 PM

ok, firstly, I pretty much only do flat work lol. and when I do jump (only at pony club or show really.) Its schooling and grids. He does rush. its from what his previvous instructors did, I was wanting more position critique lol.
OHH!! and in that vid the first person is me the second one is josh and the 3rd is josh. I do ! allot! of flat work (no actually dressage, but flat work is dressage in a nutshell)

here is us doing flat work
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...09024-Copy.jpg

I probs should ahve said that I was only the first person in the vid, cause joshs horse is nuts as a doof.

charliBum 11-15-2009 01:18 PM

oh and he is almost constantly on the bit, however it is when we are jumping that he is different, its gotten a huge amount better lol.

position critique please =]

RacePony007 11-15-2009 03:56 PM

You lean tooooooo far forrrrwaaarrrrrddddddddd!

stacieandtheboys 11-15-2009 04:13 PM

well in that picture you are leaning forward and you need to keep your heals down. Eyes and head up. I haven't watched the video.

XivoShowjumper 11-15-2009 07:38 PM

ok, we'll do position... i think your doing to much.. sit back a bit and drop your seat bones into the saddle, you seem perched. you need to work on releases and your hands- i noticed going around corners etc your elbows were sticking out and i could see your hands out of place (at 0:30 on the vid). and your lower leg slips back over the fences .. thats all i can see from the vid.. in the pic ur leaning forward and your hands are too low - u need to close the angle in ur elbow