The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Cinny's Journey with Lyme Disease treatment (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/cinnys-journey-lyme-disease-treatment-406210/)

Cinnys Whinny 05-01-2014 11:39 PM

Cinny's Journey with Lyme Disease treatment

Over the past 4 years I have had issues on and off with Cinny. At first I thought they were training issues, then ulcers, then magnesium deficiency and even "phantom lamness" that would be one leg one week, another the next. Several trainers, vets, chiropractors, and yes even an Equine Positional Release therapist and still the problems keep coming and going. It has been quite an exhausting 4 years. And he just kept getting better and worse. We seem to go 2 steps forward and then 3 steps back and now, he has days when he is so stiff that he walks more like a 30 year old horse than the 11 year old that he is. And the past 6 months he has lost an enormous amount of muscle mass.

Last week I asked my vet about "Kissing Spines" as he seems to have a lot of the symptoms. Fine when at rest, but then start riding and he goes berserk. Or even not even riding, sometimes just lunging with a saddle makes him act like the saddle is a mountain lion trying to eat him. Tucking his tail between his legs and running like a scared dog with his ears pinned and his eyes rolling back in his head. The vet came out and examined him and decided to hold off on X-rays for Kissing Spine.

He says Cinny is a "classic" Lyme case and he has had just over 10 horses in the area crop up with it in the past year. He thinks Cinny may have had it all along and nobody noticed because we all assumed it was a "green horse" behavior issue, then the ulcers and so on. No he did not do a blood draw or any other test yet, he is just that POSITIVE Lyme is the culprit, and this vet is the best in the area. I had him drive 1 hour one way to see Cinny other than my every day vet just for that reason.

He is currently being treated with doxycycline twice a day as well as a Chinese herbal remedy called "Concentrated Happy Liver." I was told to work him on the lunge for the next 2 weeks and then he can be ridden, but he has had so much muscle loss that I will probably work him on the lunge with a Pessoa System after the first week and then for a month to try to rebuild his top line and get him supporting himself better. My vet says the reason he should be worked now instead of waiting is that the Borrelia burdorferi spirochete, the organism responsible for Lyme Disease, goes dormant when the horse is relaxed or on rest. If it goes dormant, the antibiotic is less effective or may not work at all. It is most active when the horse is stressed.

As of today, Cinny has had the Doxy/Happy Liver for 24 hours and was worked on the Lunge. This is the first work he has had Since April 6, almost a month ago except for daily turnout. Yesterday he was so stiff he could barely walk out of his stall into the arena, but once warmed up and then turned loose he kicked up his heels a little, but was still a bit lackluster compared to when he is feeling like his normal self.

Today on the lunge started the same. very very stiff. He did warm up out of it again to an extent and there were times of trotting with his nose on the ground. You could still hear his joint creaking but he seemed a it happier today than yesterday.

First 5 minutes, he was a bit lazy and didn't want to trot.

About 10 minutes into the workout

After about 15 minutes

Stay tuned for future updates, feel free to ask questions!. Please do not "critique" the videos, this is a sick horse, I know he does not move correctly, isn't being "pushed" into the halter/bridle, etc. Considering he could barely walk yesterday (April 30) I think he's doing a pretty good job.

Deschutes 05-01-2014 11:42 PM

You can definitely see a difference in the three videos! I hope this cures him!

SullysRider 05-01-2014 11:44 PM

Following, hoping this is it and you get it licked!

waresbear 05-01-2014 11:48 PM

I am really hoping this helps Cinny, I want to see you two succeed!

Cinnys Whinny 05-01-2014 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh, and I almost forgot....he was so cute and happy to see me today, I just had to snap some pics.

Attachment 425618

Attachment 425626

oobiedoo 05-02-2014 12:42 AM

Good luck, he's so cute.I can only imagine how frustrating it Has been. Hope it's all good news from here on in.
Posted via Mobile Device

paintedpastures 05-02-2014 12:48 AM

Finally a Diagnosis:-) ,hope he responds well to treatment & he recovers:-) Keep us updated on his progress..

CLaPorte432 05-02-2014 09:28 AM

893 Attachment(s)
Off topic...How do you not kiss that cute little pink spot on his nose 24/7? ...Adorable!
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 05-02-2014 11:57 AM

Subbing to follow progress.

Cinnys Whinny 05-02-2014 02:48 PM

Cinny was moving a lot better today. He walks very sore on the concrete of the barn and on the gravel on the way to the arena but on grass or in the arena he is fine. He was trimmed a week ago so I will talk to his farrier about it as it may be a trimming issue and not the Lyme. It seems that his soles are longer than his hoof walls. I don't remember them being like this right after the trim and I'm hoping the tissues inside his hooves aren't swelling.

We did try our new Pessoa system that the vet recommended today. Cinny was not pleased with the the part tickling his butt but after a few minutes he got used to it. I think for a first day, and for being stiff/sore he moved really well in it. He kept wanting to slow down and it was hard to push him a bit forward so I eventually gave up on that. I think he was "stressed" enough for the day anyway.

And CLaPorte432, I have to kiss it EVERY DAY!! It's just so cute as well as the black dot in the middle of his star.