The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   New piglet is driving me crazy! (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/new-piglet-driving-me-crazy-406530/)

Wildfire89 05-02-2014 02:41 PM

New piglet is driving me crazy!

I got a week old piglet from a breeder yesterday morning. The breeder said she is weaned and on sweet feed (I got a sample of the feed). She (Tinkerbell) is driving me crazy tho. I don't know what she wants! I figured she's lonely so I have her with me as often as I can. And she slept in my bed with me last night (she was in a bin and kept jumping out and climbing into bed with me so I gave in). She keeps running up to my shoulder squealing into my ears and then when I don't give her what she wants (which I don't know!) she starts nipping my face.
She is wanting to go in with my rabbit (she snuck in earlier) and when I prevent her from going in again she goes in that corner and throws a screaming, jumping, and destructive fit.
Whenever I put her in her crate (when I am not home or unable to supervise her) she will scream and throw things around tring to get out.
I am having a really hard time bonding with her because I don't even like her right now. :(
Any advice before I lose my mind??

Endiku 05-02-2014 03:08 PM

ONE week old and already weaned and on hard feed...sweet feed no less? I'm no pig expert but that sounds WAY too young to be away from mom, much less weaned to me. She probably wants MILK.

Pigs aren't like dogs or cats. She is going to need much different training than you do, so my only advice is finding an expert to help you now before she's 50 lbs and doing this. She's a pig. Pigs scream when they're upset.

Wildfire89 05-02-2014 03:09 PM

I meant 5 weeks...gotta love typos

Endiku 05-02-2014 03:12 PM

Caring for Baby Pot Belly Pigs

it says here that you should wait until they're 8 weeks old to wean them. She definitely should not be getting sweet feed, she needs a baby formulated pellet of some sort.

Preparing for your New Pig

Wildfire89 05-04-2014 04:17 PM

Well she wasn't eating her sweet feed at all, refused cows milk, and started having soft poop (not full-out scours, but softer than it should be). I started her on scours meds and I have been making sure she is drinking a lot of water.
I got some pig milk replacer today and she LOVES it. I am not giving her a whole bunch at once but I can already tell a difference. She has more energy and doesn't scream as much. In less than 3 feedings she figured out the bottle.
I had said I didn't like her, but now I'm finding myself loving her.
I got her a little dress yesterday if anyone wants to see pics!!

Drifting 05-09-2014 11:29 AM

Of course you have to post pictures! Especially of her in a dress, she sounds so cute.

SullysRider 05-09-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildfire89 (Post 5304714)
I got a week old piglet from a breeder yesterday morning. The breeder said she is weaned and on sweet feed (I got a sample of the feed). She (Tinkerbell) is driving me crazy tho. I don't know what she wants! I figured she's lonely so I have her with me as often as I can. And she slept in my bed with me last night (she was in a bin and kept jumping out and climbing into bed with me so I gave in). She keeps running up to my shoulder squealing into my ears and then when I don't give her what she wants (which I don't know!) she starts nipping my face.
She is wanting to go in with my rabbit (she snuck in earlier) and when I prevent her from going in again she goes in that corner and throws a screaming, jumping, and destructive fit.
Whenever I put her in her crate (when I am not home or unable to supervise her) she will scream and throw things around tring to get out.
I am having a really hard time bonding with her because I don't even like her right now. :(
Any advice before I lose my mind??

Welcome to pig ownership! People don't realize they are strongly opinionated and tons more work than a dog is. They will throw fits whenever they don't get there way, and letting them get their way just reinforces it more that their fits work. Get her off the sweet feed and give her a feed specifically for pigs mixed in with milk replacer. At her age she cannot regulate her own body temperature, so she needs to be under a heat lamp, that is probably why she wants to be by you or the rabbit 24/7. She is young, and should be around mom 24/7 with mom taking care of her. So you have to be mom now. I definitely wouldn't have taken a pig that young.

EquineBovine 06-15-2014 12:52 PM

Ahem...where are the photos?

HeroMyOttb 06-15-2014 02:21 PM

I want to see photos of this cute little thing!

Saddlebag 06-15-2014 03:29 PM

Friends took a runt that was going to be disposed of. They bottle fed it and gave it everything little piggies need. Somewhere along the line he was castrated and grew and grew and grew until he was huge, bigger than his parents. He was quite the character and lived a long piggy life.