The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Quarter Crack (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/quarter-crack-40701/)

chesterh 11-16-2009 02:50 PM

Quarter Crack

I am making arrangements to 'adopt' an off the track quarter horse from his breeder. Hes been out in pasture for awhile and she said she had shoes put on him yesterday and noticed he has a quarter crack. She says it should grow out totally fine.
Ok, any good/bad/indifferent experiences with a quarter crack? I've never dealt with one before so I don't really know the risks involved.
I would really appreciate any advice or information you can give me. I am getting him as a barrel prospect and any risk of permanent or reoccuring lameness is a problem.

Speed Racer 11-16-2009 02:59 PM

Any horse can get a quarter crack. Doesn't mean their feet are bad, or that they're prone to navicular or laminitis.

If his shoes were pulled after coming off the track and his feet left to grow naturally, it's not uncommon.

My now-deceased gelding had a horrendous crack in one of his front hooves when he was 5 y/o. I had to have front shoes put on him until the crack grew out, because it went all the way through the hoof and split it in 2.

Once he regrew the hoof I took his shoes off, and he lived the rest of his life barefoot.

AlmagroN 11-16-2009 03:25 PM

depends how bad it is.

we typically cut them out, because some quater cracks can cause a whole heap of problems. cut it out and let it relieve pressure, paint it with iodine to keep out infection and dry it up, then pack it with venise terpentine and wrap it. a lot of times we also put a bar shoe on so they arent putting pressure on it.

for example the last horse we claimed had a quater crack on every foot. some of them were pretty darn bad and causing lameness. we cut a couple out and they were full of puss and blood and were so infected they were causing wall separation. make sure its taken care of!!

ETA: when i said we, i meant we because my cousin is a farrier. have youre farrier take care of cutting them out

chesterh 11-16-2009 03:38 PM

My UNDERSTANDING is that he has been off the track for 3 years. He is 10. He has been in pasture and the owner admitted she hadn't had him trimmed soon enough. She told me he had a quarter crack on his outside right front hoof and that it was already on the mend.
I think I should probably call my farrier and get his opinion.

AlmagroN 11-16-2009 03:40 PM

quarter cracks dont just spontaneously heal. unless shes taking care of it, shes lying that its healing.