The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What are some tips and tricks to riding a horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-some-tips-tricks-riding-horse-40713/)

katybaby 11-16-2009 04:37 PM

What are some tips and tricks to riding a horse?

Hey, I'm Katie

I am doing an assignment at school on horses and I have 2 questions that I have to include in a 10 minute seminar.

The questions involve riding horses.

The questions are:

What are some tips and tricks to riding a horse?
How often should horses be riden?

I hope someone can answer this question.

Thanks,

Katie

sillybunny11486 11-16-2009 04:42 PM

Are you an experienced rider?

If I was teaching a beginner lesson,
I would introduct them to the horse,
I would tell the child to brush the horse (show them to bo with the hairs not against)
Show them how to pick a foot.
Show them the tack, and what the parts are called
How to put it on
How to mount the horse
How to sit/ hold reins
Most important- dont move around alot, dont kick the horse, squeeze if you want them to go. be gentle with the reins.

paintsrule 11-16-2009 04:44 PM

Number one trick/tip: stay on

tempest 11-16-2009 04:46 PM

Relax but never relax!

clipclops 11-16-2009 04:53 PM

I still do bareback riding to keep myself in "training". Bareback riding teaches you to keep your seat and also balance. You use more of your muscles and you learn to "feel" your horse. I personally believe that this helps in communicating between horse in rider even when you put the saddle back on.:wink:

Me and Big Bella riding bareback at the canter.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...9/100_0514.jpg

flamingauburnmustang 11-16-2009 06:46 PM

Here are some things you must do when riding a horse: heels down, shoulders open, back straight, head up, toes pointed out.

Exercises to help you in the saddle would be pole work, stirrupless work, lunging work, bareback riding, etc.

There are just too many things to meantion in one post. Do you have any experience in horses and riding?

Vidaloco 11-16-2009 06:54 PM

I agree, the best trick is to stay on :wink::lol: Seriously, balance is very important when riding a horse. The best way to gain this is to ride bareback. At the very least with your feet out of the stirrups.
Being relaxed and sorta fearless is pretty important too. A horse can tell when your nervous and sometimes will become nervous as well.
As far as how often? I think its best to ride every day. Unless we are hindered by weather or health, we try to ride 4-5 time a week at the very least. The more often you ride, the better you and your horse will become.

katybaby 11-17-2009 08:42 PM

No, I don't have any experience of riding horses and I know very little about horses.
As this was an assignment at school, we had to pick a subject that we know very little about.

Thanks heaps to all of you who gave me information

Katie :)

kmdstar 11-17-2009 08:45 PM

Tip number one: HEELS DOWN!!! This is the most important thing to me and I don't think it is stressed enough.

I think (depending on the horse) that horses should be ridden 4-5 times a week. Enough so that they have a job (horses like to have a job) but not too much so that they don't want to be with you because they think you are all work and no pleasure.

lolayla 11-18-2009 03:06 PM

i truely believe that there are no tips or tricks. just practice, practice practice and a great trainer.