The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   How diff is a 16 1/2 to a 16? English saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/how-diff-16-1-2-16-a-40718/)

Crimsonhorse01 11-16-2009 06:14 PM

How diff is a 16 1/2 to a 16? English saddle

So im looking at saddles. how different is a 16 1/2 to a 16"?

VanillaBean 11-16-2009 07:15 PM

half-an-inch

Crimsonhorse01 11-16-2009 07:23 PM

lol I know but is it a big difference? is it noticeable?

Macslady 11-16-2009 07:26 PM

It would be to me. Depends on how close the 16 is to your size. If it's snug, then you would welcome the extra 1/2 inch.

~*~anebel~*~ 11-16-2009 07:38 PM

If there wasn't much of a difference, they wouldn't make saddles in half inches, they'd make them in full inches.
It depends on your size and your personal preference as to what you're going to like. It also depends on the make of the saddle. I have a 45cm (17.5") dressage saddle that I love to bits even though technically it should be way too big for me - I have been "measured" as needing a 40cm seat size. Were I riding in a 17.5" Passier I would probably fall out the back of the saddle.
My advice is to sit in as many saddles as possible to find what you like. If at all possible, try out friend's saddles at the barn. Tack shops will also let you sit in their saddles, and some let you take them to the barn to try on your horse.

Good luck!

Crimsonhorse01 11-16-2009 08:06 PM

Thank you for the advice. My problem is Im in middle of cowboy country and the middle of no where. There is no tack shop that carries english stuff. Lol I'm thinking I might have to take a trip to Rapid city,sd :S

Appy Luvr 11-16-2009 08:10 PM

I have a 16" and it fits me perfect. I'm 5'6" and 110 lbs.
If you find someplace in Rapid that has English stuff let me know!

Tack Collector 11-16-2009 09:05 PM

English Saddle Seat Size Calculator is a seat size calculator. Thigh refers to thigh length, and you sit up against a wall and measure thigh from the wall to you knee. Or it's something like that. It takes into consideration how much booty room if you measure it that way: butt to knee.

Or, take your western size, plus 2" and that will roughly be your English seat size. An open or flat seat with low cantle will be more roomy than a deeper one. U-shaped seats have more "sit" room than deep seats that are V-shaped and have a steeply sloped cantle. A hunt seat saddle with a deeply cutback pommel will ride or feel shorter than one w/ less cutback pommel. The saddles like Duett Allegro and Ashley & Clarke Ayr ride smaller -- I like 1" larger than my normal 16.5" cc size in the Ayr and 1/2" larger in the Allegro. I posted pics of those and other English saddles at Horse Grooming Forum. I'm Tack Collector over there, too.

Dressage saddles that are very deep - you might need a large size like 17.5" to 18". It all depends on your preference, how you're built, how much room you like, and also what saddle fits the horse and sometimes the horse dictates huge compromises in terms of the model of saddle that it's feasible to use.

dunsjump 11-17-2009 02:49 AM

As far as English seat sizes go, 16" and anything under are considered children's saddles and are often less expensive - just a hint. Try to make sure the saddle not only fits your butt, but fits your leg as well :)

kitten_Val 11-17-2009 08:35 AM

It depends on brand actually. My collegiate A/P is 17, my pessoa CC is 17.5. Both fits me fine.