The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique My Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-riding-40780/)

cowgirl4jesus94 11-17-2009 01:10 PM

Critique My Riding

Here is a video of Splash and I a couple weeks ago. We arent really doing anything other than trotting around, so I guess mostly critique my postion and whatnot. I would like to hear what you guys think I could work on.

Also, Splash has started tossing his head. (you can see it in the video) And its only when I tighten up the reins a little bit. Its not even pulling on his mouth. And its not pain related because he does it when he gets fustrated. I I'm not quite sure what to do to stop that? He is just pulling against the bit. Any idea's would be helpful.

How are my hands? Legs? What do I need to change

Please give me as much constructive criticism as you can.

cowgirl4jesus94 11-17-2009 01:10 PM

Of course I forgot to attach the video..... lol!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7...h_MOV00855.jpg

kevinshorses 11-17-2009 01:17 PM

Your heels need to come back some or your butt needs to move forward. Your heel should line up with the middle of your hip.

sillybunny11486 11-17-2009 01:22 PM

How do you know its not pain related?

kevinshorses 11-17-2009 01:30 PM

He's a little sore going to the right also. You need to work on getting him to give you his face. Tighten your reins and pull on his face a little then hold it untill he puts slack in your reins and immediately release. As he gets better ask for it longer and longer then ask for it at a walk/trot/canter as you perfect it.

cowgirl4jesus94 11-17-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 464224)
He's a little sore going to the right also. You need to work on getting him to give you his face. Tighten your reins and pull on his face a little then hold it untill he puts slack in your reins and immediately release. As he gets better ask for it longer and longer then ask for it at a walk/trot/canter as you perfect it.

okay.. What do I do if he stops when I am asking him to give?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say he is a little sore going to the right.. expound?

I will be sure to work on my legs going back.

sillybunny; I dont think it is pain related because he only does it when he gets fustrated and want to do something different..

kevinshorses 11-17-2009 01:54 PM

[quote=cowgirl4jesus94;464234]okay.. What do I do if he stops when I am asking him to give?

You start with him stopped already. When you start walking him you just push him forward with your seat and legs. You need to get him stopping off your seat as well.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say he is a little sore going to the right.. expound?

He is limping slightly. It looks like his right front. Does he have shoes on.

I will be sure to work on my legs going back.

You may benefit from some lessons.

quote]

chesterh 11-17-2009 02:09 PM

I agree with Kevin about the limping. If you watch the video you can easily see his head bobbing with every other step which is often a good give away that they're sore on that side. I think you need also to lengthen your stirrups. That may help with the poor leg positioning.

IMHO when he breaks out of the trot into a walk before you ask you need to anticipate him doing it. You can start to feel his forward momentum stopping and kind of preemptive strike it. When he starts breaking down give him more leg (not kick!) before he actually comes to a walk. By letting him break down to a walk you are telling him that its ok. You need to not even let it be a possibility.

(lol this feels a little like the pot calling the kettle black here for me. I'm HARDLY an expert.)

BaileeJJMommy 11-17-2009 02:11 PM

I agree with Kevinshorses; he looks like he is footsore on the front end.

GottaRide 11-17-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl4jesus94 (Post 464234)
okay.. What do I do if he stops when I am asking him to give?

You need to use your legs to push him forward into the bit. But as kevinshorses said, you start teaching a horse to respond to the bit from a stand still.

Right now you are just a passenger along for the ride. You need to become a rider to benefit both you & your horse. Lessons will help.