The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   What Should Kate's New Job Be? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/what-should-kates-new-job-40806/)

SuperStarsSugar 11-17-2009 06:34 PM

What Should Kate's New Job Be?

Hey, this is the first thread I've started, so bear with me. I have an OTTB mare (named Kate) who's 8 years old and currently the mom of my next project. But, when her baby is weaned in January, I'd like to retrain her to be... something. The problem is, I don't really know what, other than racing, her conformation lends itself too. Usually I'm pretty good at repurposing horses, but she's just such a typical racehorse that I'm kind of at a loss. That said, I'd really like outside opinions as to what she'd be good at. You're welcome to critique her conformation as best you can from the pictures (which probably aren't the best ever). I won't be insulted, as I know her conformation is far from perfect and she's ridiculously out of shape. Kindness and tact is all I ask.

Photo Gallery: Kate 1

Also, FYI, the pictures of her standing make her look spectacularly downhill, but she's actually not. She's the same height on both ends, so to speak.

TwisterRush 11-17-2009 08:20 PM

well it rather depends on what you want to do.. do you ride english or western?

SuperStarsSugar 11-17-2009 08:38 PM

Well, I ride both, but mostly english. The thing is, though, that I think I'm going to have to sell her before next winter (I currently have 3 horses, and am taking care of 1 more in addition to mine, so it's kind of ridiculous right now), but I feel like she should at least have a solid foundation in something other than racing before I sell her so that she's more likely to stay in good homes throughout her life. I have trained for a bunch of different disciplines, and since she wouldn't be my permanent riding horse, it's less about what I would want to do with her than it is about what she has a natural affinity for. See what I mean?

TwisterRush 11-17-2009 09:53 PM

welll... it also depends what is at demand for what discipline in your area.
I know alot of people ride Jumping, hunters, cross country or dressage.. also barrels..

I would probably get her started on Jumping and dressage. in my opinion lol. im sorry if i missed this but how tall is she ?

LoveStory10 11-18-2009 07:06 AM

my friend has a mare called Night Heat that is your typical racer, and she is a fantasic showjumper, so thats something you could think of trying Kate with....

sillybunny11486 11-18-2009 08:33 AM

^^ show can jumping take years to train a horse for. Doesnt sound like she has that much time. Start with the basics. W/T/C, stopping, turning. You wont know what shes even good at till you try different things...

Sounds like you need to restart/reback her. You need to do that before you even think about what riding style you are going to do with her. She needs to understand english or western commands as opposed to racetrack commands. You might need a trainer for this.

I agree that if a horse has a good foundation, they are less likely to bounce around homes. But in your sales contract you could add a clause stating that you have first buyback rights, or you can recomend a buyer for her if the person ever decides to sell.

equus717 11-18-2009 08:47 AM

I agree with what is being said restart her at the beginning. A racehorse is trained very differently than most typical horses are.

SuperStarsSugar 11-18-2009 01:07 PM

Twister Rush- She's 16hh, and no, you didn't miss it. I forgot it:)

sillybunny-I've never sold a horse without a buyback clause, but so far, luckily, no one has felt the need to sell a horse I've sold them.

Everyone-retraining is definitely in the offing starting in January. I anticipate having about 8 months to get her restarted in something a bit more pedestrain than racing, so she probably won't be a "finished" horse, but I intend to take her to a few schooling shows, and basically just get her going in the right direction. She's fun, sound, and really easy to train, so I think she'd be a fantastic horse for someone who wanted to do intermediate level competition, once she's been retrained. I would start retraining her now, because she's already been off the track for well over a year, it's just I don't really think I can work around the fact that she has a foal. Hmm.

I think jumping would be an option for her, but as sillybunny said, I'm not sure about time constraints, especially since jumping isn't something you want to do with a horse every day. I've always known that I'm just going to have to see how it goes with her, but it never hurts to get an outside perspective, and possibly some creative ideas.

In the meantime, what do you guys think of her conformation? She's got a few faults, but what is your overall impression?

SuperStarsSugar 11-18-2009 01:08 PM

Oh, it might also be helpful to note that she was started as a three year old instead of at 18mos and only had 10 starts, so that looks good for future soundness.