The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Stories and Poems (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-stories-poems/)
-   -   My story of Becoming a Jockey! What do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-stories-poems/my-story-becoming-jockey-what-do-40807/)

djockey 11-17-2009 06:50 PM

My story of Becoming a Jockey! What do you think?

I am going to be a jockey!
I have had a love affair with horses and literature for as long as I can remember. I would describe myself as an optimistic, determined, literately enriched cowgirl. In my wildest dreams I want to become a jockey, however; in my realistic dreams I want to become a writer, so this summer I enrolled in community college like any recent High school Grad should. John Steinbeck once said, “The profession of book writing makes horse racing seem like a solid, stable business.” This, I suppose, is a challenge for my determined nature and optimism to stand and defend my dreams, but only time will tell if Steinbeck is acurate.
I have ridden horses in local show jumping competitions since I was young and spend most of my time training my two horses, hanging out with my fiance, and writing in my journal. Recently, I made the switch from lined paper to cyberspace ( http://delilawagton.wordpress.com/) because a door was opened for me to fulfill my wildest dreams! Surely this sovereign opportunity to ride beautiful race horses will spew onto my pages in a way that will entertain readers in this virtual community.
PLEASE READ MORE! YOUR HORSE KNOWLEDGE IS IMPORTANT AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! I am going to be a jockey!
~Delila
PS leave lots of comments on my blog's pages I am going to be a jockey! http://delilawagton.files.wordpress....pg?w=225&h=300

Kiki 11-17-2009 07:52 PM

Hey!
Nice to meet another propesctive writer and horse lover. I too write novels, some horsey some sci-fi some fiction.
Hope it works out for you

XivoShowjumper 11-18-2009 04:59 AM

i think if i were to write horsey novels it would just be an autobiography........ so i write fantasy instead!

XivoShowjumper 11-18-2009 05:10 AM

I just read what u had written so far and was disappointed to find it cut short- i was rather enjoying that!!!!

its very good, particularly the intro, i think maybe it just needs more padding- the storyline was moving a bit quick... BUT EXCEPTIONAL nonetheless :)

sillybunny11486 11-18-2009 08:41 AM

Do jockeys have reliable pay? That would be my only concern.

djockey 11-18-2009 10:42 AM

Thanks!

djockey 11-18-2009 10:48 AM

XivoShowjumper, thank you for your input. Sometines I try so hard to turn out a new page every day that I don't add enough padding or background, but I guess that is how daily blogs suffer. I appreciate your audience:)

Sillybunny, so far I am only an excercise rider working to become a jockey, but read about my pay on I am going to be a jockey! and I hope to inform you about jockey pay in a few months:)
~Delila

Jake and Dai 11-18-2009 02:41 PM

I'm so enjoying this tale from the backside! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next update. :D

XivoShowjumper 11-19-2009 11:32 PM

your welcome- as a writer myself i do the same- i just imagine it all running through my head, and forget to write it down!!!!!!!! hahaha goodluck!

HollyLolly 01-07-2010 03:24 PM

The only 2 things about being a jockey that put me off:
- If you ever want to start a family, you have to put a lot of your career on hold (not that I actually ever want kids, but I thought, incase I had a change of heart...)
- As a proffessional athlete, you're not allowed to indulge in those lovely unhealthy foods, such as chocolate, chips, cheese, as you are a constantly strict diet, that is monitered. You have to maintain a particular weight, and in the contract you have to sign, it will say if you put on too much weight, they have the right to fire you :/

By the way I love your story!