The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   kimberwick...should i get rid of it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/kimberwick-should-i-get-rid-4083/)

jazzyrider 10-27-2007 08:29 AM

kimberwick...should i get rid of it?

i got a bunch of stuff from ebay while ago. there was all kinds of stuff in there including a kimberwick (??spelling). i kinda chucked it in a bag not thinking i would ever have the need for it.

should i get rid of it or do they serve a purpose?? i dont know much about them only that they are a reasonably harsh bit. i cant see much need for it at the moment but because i dont know much about them, i thought that maybe it may be worth keeping it around

can anyone tell me what they are all about and if its something i should keep or not. i am planning on going bitless but i dont know if i can show in a bitless bridle. any help/suggestions would be good

Spirithorse 10-27-2007 09:15 AM

I say GET RID OF IT! :lol: :D I personally hate kimberwicks and would never, ever use them on any horse of mine. Like you said, they are harsh and I see no need for them. If a horse can't be ridden in a simple snaffle and is said to "need" a kimberwick, then there are some serious issues going on. So yea, I say chuck it away lol!

KANSAS_TWISTER 10-27-2007 12:45 PM

it is a really harsh bit, i used one once on a hunt mare i once had and both she and i hated it, so yeah chuck it

jazzyrider 10-27-2007 06:39 PM

i figured as much. thanks guys :)

iridehorses 10-28-2007 08:14 AM

Most western horses are ridden on a shanked bit. The kimberwick is a very mild form of that type bit and has it's purpose. No bit is harsh in the right hands - think of the Spanish Spade bit.

The Kimberwick should be ridden with two sets of reins. The top set acts like a standard snaffle while the bottom is there to help collect your horse. Spend some time looking up the uses of the Kimberwick on Google and you will see that it can be a very usefull bit in the right hands.

jazzyrider 10-28-2007 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses
Most western horses are ridden on a shanked bit. The kimberwick is a very mild form of that type bit and has it's purpose. No bit is harsh in the right hands - think of the Spanish Spade bit.

The Kimberwick should be ridden with two sets of reins. The top set acts like a standard snaffle while the bottom is there to help collect your horse. Spend some time looking up the uses of the Kimberwick on Google and you will see that it can be a very usefull bit in the right hands.

thanks but ive heard enough bad things about them to disregard them considering i dont need that kind of bit. i ride english and have a responsive horse with a very soft mouth. i dont need it

Appyt 10-28-2007 02:25 PM

Don't chuck it! Send it to me! I love to collect bits. Honest, I'll pay shipping if you are just gonna toss it. FYI, I have a billy allen mouth kimberwick that I love on my appy. He was trained western(neckrein etc) and since losing his sight I have to ride him in a direct rein bit. The Kimberwick works great on him. He's actually lighter than he ever was before. Please email me at appyt at yahoo dot com if you are willing to send it to me. :)

jazzyrider 10-28-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appyt
Don't chuck it! Send it to me! I love to collect bits. Honest, I'll pay shipping if you are just gonna toss it. FYI, I have a billy allen mouth kimberwick that I love on my appy. He was trained western(neckrein etc) and since losing his sight I have to ride him in a direct rein bit. The Kimberwick works great on him. He's actually lighter than he ever was before. Please email me at appyt at yahoo dot com if you are willing to send it to me. :)

ok sure :) i guess if someone can get some use out of it its better than chucking it lol i will email you :)

Appyt 10-28-2007 10:07 PM

KEWL! OOPS, I see you are in Australia.. That might cost me.. LOL