The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Thoughts on no slip saddle pads (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/thoughts-no-slip-saddle-pads-40844/)

DalleysMom 11-18-2009 08:50 AM

Thoughts on no slip saddle pads

My mare is very large, and we are currently exercising her so her body is gonna change. But while in her plump self and being so.......well round. My saddle slips back constantly. Girth is tight, but the big gal moves me back and to the side and all around. I never feel straight. I am uncomfortable and I am sure she is to.

What are your thoughts of using a nonslip pad under my saddle pad. Thanks for your imput :)

LoveStory10 11-18-2009 10:09 AM

I think use one... I dont have any experience with them, but I'v heard from my friends they work well, so untill your mare slims down, go for it... :)

kevinshorses 11-18-2009 10:39 AM

Do you ride english or western? I have ridden horses of all sizes over some pretty rough terrain and never had a problem with pads slipping. You may want to use a breastcollar to keep your saddle in place.

Speed Racer 11-18-2009 11:07 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but how long have you been riding? Or reriding?

Less experienced, out of condition people tend to move around more than those who have been consistently riding a long time, which means their saddle pads tend to slip.

I had the exact same problem as you many moons ago, and while a nonslip pad may help, the only thing that's really going to keep that pad in place is a quiet, experienced rider.

My pads don't slip anymore, regardless of the type I use now.

DalleysMom 11-18-2009 11:43 AM

I do ride western, and I am pretty green, but even my girlfriends who are very experienced were haveing the same problem on her too. So even while I am learning and she is learning and leaning down, are they ok to use, It may be me. I do have a breast collar to I can use, maybe that will help.

With my other guys I never had this problem, but that is back when I rode consistantly. So I guess the combination of fat and green a slip pad will work for now, then evaluate it after the fat and green factors are gone :lol:

gypsygirl 11-18-2009 11:45 AM

i love no slip pads ! especially for horses who are very wide/round. i would get one if i were you

Speed Racer 11-18-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalleysMom (Post 465308)
I do ride western, and I am pretty green, but even my girlfriends who are very experienced were haveing the same problem on her too. So even while I am learning and she is learning and leaning down, are they ok to use, It may be me. I do have a breast collar to I can use, maybe that will help.

With my other guys I never had this problem, but that is back when I rode consistantly. So I guess the combination of fat and green a slip pad will work for now, then evaluate it after the fat and green factors are gone :lol:

Sure, a no slip pad certainly won't hurt, and it could very well help the issue.

Besides, if you and the horse are out of condition, anything that makes riding easier for both of you is a good thing!

I'm glad you weren't offended at my question. Too many people get all huffy if you mention saddle pad slippage as maybe being caused by the rider. :oops:

quietrider222 11-18-2009 12:09 PM

Since I have been in your situation, I realize that obviously you want to do something to make your situation better rather than to make it worse by a poor fitting saddle pad- no slip or not. There are so many choices out there, but if you're in for an investment, I suggest you try out a Thin Line pad.
I have been a customer of theirs for a while now, and I just got an email about their holiday sale (15% off everything coupon code and free gifts). You should give them a call or one of their pads a try. I really recommend it; i noticed a big difference the first time i used their basic pad. I think it can help you! Hope this helps.

luvs2ride1979 11-18-2009 12:42 PM

If the saddle is slipping that much, then it doesn't fit. It could be causing pressure points and soring your horse. If there is any pressure, then she will slim down, but the muscle will also atrophy, causing awkward saddle fit and long term pain.

See if you can borrow a wider saddle to use while she slims down. If not, then consider riding bareback or investing in one of those cashel softsaddles.

Polaris 11-18-2009 01:05 PM

Saddle fit was what I was thinking also. Is there anyone that can take a look at the fitment of your saddle for you? You may find that that is a big part of your problem.