The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Backing-Dumb Question! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/backing-dumb-question-40879/)

SeeinSpotz 11-18-2009 07:13 PM

Backing-Dumb Question!

My mare Daizy doesnt back up will.
She will take one step back, but i am useing the bridle and the halter for her to back up. She backs up fine when i am just walking her around (not on her back)
so how do i teach her to back up?

kmdstar 11-18-2009 07:26 PM

Does she know the 'back' command? When you do it on the ground does she respond to BACK or do you have to pull on the halter?

If she doesn't know what BACK means, you need to teach it to her - on the ground first. When you can back her on the ground without having to pull on her halter, then try it undersaddle. Apply a little pressure through your hands and say BACK. It may not be pretty at first buuut the important part is her LISTENING. If she takes ONE step back, release and praise her, and continue doing that (asking her to take more and more steps back as you make progress).

SeeinSpotz 11-18-2009 07:44 PM

Thanks kmdstar, no she doesn;t know the word back.

kmdstar 11-18-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeinSpotz (Post 465749)
Thanks kmdstar, no she doesn;t know the word back.

My mare didn't back well until I taught her the command BACK. It helped ALOT :D

RiosDad 11-18-2009 07:57 PM

Backing is just forward in a rearward direction. I say the word back, jiggle my reins and touch his flanks with my spurs to ask him to move. Since my hands are fixed he can't go forward so he moves in reverse.

kmdstar 11-18-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiosDad (Post 465761)
Backing is just forward in a rearward direction. I say the word back, jiggle my reins and touch his flanks with my spurs to ask him to move. Since my hands are fixed he can't go forward so he moves in reverse.

I wouldn't put my leg all the way back on their flanks, I'd think that would make them want to buck? I only move my leg a weeee bit back from my regular leg position and squeeze with a little pressure, add pressure through my hands and say BACK.

I don't know about your horse but I don't think very many horses would tolerate spurs to their flanks.

Vidaloco 11-18-2009 08:39 PM

I was taught to lean back, feet forward and wiggle back on the reins. The motion is pretty much the same as a stop. For practice, every time you whoa, make her take a few steps back.
Start on the ground if she knows nothing. Put pressure on her nose and say back. Release the pressure and give her a "good girl" as soon as she takes one step. Work your way up to 2, 3, 4 steps back.
With practice she will know to back on just the word "back" and/or the sit back legs forward cue.

riccil0ve 11-18-2009 08:41 PM

I don't think he means the actual flanks. o_O

You're saying the problem is backing up in hand, yes? My yearling had a problem with it. She's very "in your space" and we work a lot on yielding to me. We'll march around the yard, and I'll stop abruptly and give her a sharp "Ho!" to stop. Then I turn around, standing slightly in front of her, and walk into her, giving a tug on the halter, the word "back," and I bump her in the chest with the handle of a dressage whip. I taught her to sidestep the same way, the whole point was just teaching her that if I moved, she moved. I was the force not to be reckoned with, lol.

EDIT: Ok, I reread, your problem is in the saddle. It's going to sound ridiculous but use your BREATHING to help her know what you want. Really use your core, I swear it works. As your walking along, take a deep breath in, and on your exhale, tighten your core, close your fingers, and stop letting your body move to the walk. I guarantee you that your horse will hesitate. When you stop, exhale and tighten your core, imagine your body moving to her backing up and resist any movement to go forward. Block her "escape" to the front with a solid rein, give her a little tug on the reins and increase the intensity until she backs up. Like Vida said, make her back up every time you stop.

cowgirl4jesus94 11-18-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 465805)
I was taught to lean back, feet forward and wiggle back on the reins. The motion is pretty much the same as a stop. For practice, every time you whoa, make her take a few steps back.
Start on the ground if she knows nothing. Put pressure on her nose and say back. Release the pressure and give her a "good girl" as soon as she takes one step. Work your way up to 2, 3, 4 steps back.
With practice she will know to back on just the word "back" and/or the sit back legs forward cue.

Same.... I dont use my legs against his side to cue him. I lean back with my feet forward and give him the vocal command and then use rein pressure. Release with each step.

gypsygirl 11-18-2009 09:34 PM

some times it helps to close your hip angle just a little bit