The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Teaching Horses How To Bow the RIGHT Way? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/teaching-horses-how-bow-right-way-40992/)

AnnaLover 11-19-2009 11:44 PM

Teaching Horses How To Bow the RIGHT Way?

I want to start teaching Penny some tricks, because she seems like a little the circus type of pony, haha. So, I thought I would start with something that, from what I have heard, is fun and relatively simple :) I have heard that there is a good and a bad way to train them how to bow, and I was wondering how to do it the good way?
Thanks!

mom2pride 11-19-2009 11:55 PM

You want to teach her to bow down on one knee. There was a thread entitled "stop teaching horses to bow like this" I think, in this section...

here it is http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...ses-bow-37603/

riccil0ve 11-20-2009 03:01 PM

This is how I taught my yearling.

First, makes sure you have lots of open space, and you have no other animals that will get in the way. As well as a nice soft cushy ground.

I stood on Gracie's left side, and I had her lead rope on her right side draped over her neck. Facing her just like I would to pick her hoof, I grabbed her left foot, and gently tugged on the lead rope, tugging her face to the right and backwards, and the lead rope pressure on her neck asked her to come towards me. AS SOON as she lowered her left knee [knee, not hoof] I released and walked on. We came back to it a minute or so later and repeated the process. It only took her a few tries. She has a harder time bowing on her right knee, but I can walk up to her halterless, pick up her left foot and "tickle" her in between her front legs and she'll bow. =]

paintluver 11-20-2009 09:40 PM

**I just want to put my 2 sense in here, give them a different cue to bow and not the same one as picking up their feet. (With Romeo I tap him on the chest and say "Bow") So that when your farrier comes to clean them up, they don't bow on him! lol!

AnnaLover 11-20-2009 09:49 PM

Thanks so much, all of you! I went out and worked with her before I read ricci's post and didn't have much success xD Part of the problem was that even though I lunged her before the lesson, she was SO hyper, so then I took her into the big pen and swung the rope and she TOOK OFF and did about 10 laps of full blown gallop a million miles and hour lol!

riccil0ve 11-21-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintluver (Post 467628)
**I just want to put my 2 sense in here, give them a different cue to bow and not the same one as picking up their feet. (With Romeo I tap him on the chest and say "Bow") So that when your farrier comes to clean them up, they don't bow on him! lol!

The cue is scratching between her front legs, but you can't really teach to bow without manipulating their body to show them what you want first. First it was manipulating her body, then a combination of foot, tug, and chest, then just foot and chest, and then just tickling her chest. It's much easier that way, otherwise your going to spend hours poking a horse and hoping it does what you want. o_O

Also, she still picks her feet up fine, and won't try to bow unless you ask with a tickle. =]