The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Rider's weight? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/riders-weight-41015/)

kalete 11-20-2009 04:30 PM

Rider's weight?

Hi there!
I'm pretty new here, and I'm not sure this is the right forum to ask this question, but we'll see.
Anyway, I'm wondering if a rider's weight could hurt a horse. I rode for about 8 years when I was younger, and then life interfered. I do not currently own a horse, but am looking into lessons. I, er, weigh quite a bit more than I did when I was younger. For reference, I'm 5'3" and weigh about (:-() 240 lbs. Is this too heavy? I really don't want to break any horse's back or anything. What's an acceptable range?
Thanks

reining girl 11-20-2009 04:43 PM

Horses can carry alot of weight. If i were i would just look for a bigger, stocky horse, like a Quarter horse or paint or a draft cross etc etc, your bigger boned breeds. But even then thats not completly necessary. I mean just dont go looking for a pony or some small tiny boned horse. Just maybe look for something that has some substance to it.

Pidge 11-20-2009 04:46 PM

Welcome to the forum Kalete! nice to meet you!

Now as for your question here is the answer...you are not to heavy to ride...not at all actually! The amount of weight a horse can carry is determined by its weight and confo...based on your description most horses could carry your weight. :)

Ive met a few people about your size who have ridden some fairly small QH's with no problem to the horse. so if i were you i wouldnt worry to much...

Erin_And_Jasper 11-20-2009 05:02 PM

im also a bigger (245lbs) and i ride a tb who is about 1100lbs and he carries me no problem. he will buck, not outta pain but outta being frisky. my sisters 14.2 pony can carry me but im also afraid im going to hurt her. i dont make her do it very often only when im giving a lesson and she wont listen to the student

7Ponies 11-20-2009 05:07 PM

A lot of men weigh that much and they ride. Look for a sturdier mount, and get back in the saddle. It will be good for you and you will enjoy it :)

kalete 11-20-2009 06:18 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys.
I used to ride hunter/jumpers, but where I live now it's all western, so I probably shouldn't have an issue finding a big-boned QH or something to try. :) I miss riding a lot, it's time I get back into it.

Luv 2 Trail 11-20-2009 07:33 PM

:-)I am happy that you are wanting to get back into riding! You've gotten good advice - just remember the most important thing is to enjoy yourself!
Best of luck finding a lesson barn you like and welcome to the forum!

Cheshire 11-20-2009 08:15 PM

I second everything that has already been said. :) Get out there are ride!

1dog3cats17rodents 11-20-2009 08:20 PM

A horse can safely carry 15-20% of his body weight (depending on his sturdyness, a short stocky pony can carry more then a taller arabish build)

SuperStarsSugar 11-20-2009 10:32 PM

I've heard that horses can carry up to 20% of their weight quite comfortably, but it varies per horse depending on how wide their base of support is. For instance, a 15.2hh horse with dinnerplate hooves and a wide back might be able to comfortably carry more weight than a 16hh horse that was of a less substantial type, even if they weighed the same. I haven't studied this extensively, but that's what I've read. Basically what was said before.