The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Teeth Float, Horse's mouth sore (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/teeth-float-horses-mouth-sore-41017/)

7Ponies 11-20-2009 05:09 PM

Teeth Float, Horse's mouth sore

Poor Dixie. She had her teeth floated today, they were very bad. It took a lot of work. She's very sore tonight. She did eat her Safe Choice feed ... I soaked it. I put out some soaked alfalfa cubes for her as well and she didn't want them.

I hope she feels better tomorrow, poor dear.

Gandy had her's floated as well and is fine, eating well and acting like nothing happened, but then her's weren't bad.

I don't think Dixie had her's done in a long time.

AlmagroN 11-20-2009 05:27 PM

i wouldnt want to eat either. the who floating thing is just not very pleasant!

bubblegum 11-20-2009 06:44 PM

as i havent ever had a horses teeth floated due to not owning one long enough mostly monthly loans was wondering what teeth floating means? what happens?

7Ponies 11-20-2009 07:16 PM

When they float the horse's teeth, they basically use a big metal file, or float, and file the sharp points off the molars and make the teeth flat again so the horse can eat correctly. Dixie also had a bit of a "wave" mouth which took a bit extra time to get filed correctly.

We had to sedate them both just a tad to take the edge off, but they were pretty much awake and normal as soon as we were done.

bubblegum 11-20-2009 07:21 PM

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, we call it rasping over here, thats why i didnt have a clue, ha, thank you for your description it was very good. hope your horse gets back on form soon and feels better with her perfect teeth

7Ponies 11-20-2009 07:23 PM

Yes, rasping is a good way to describe it as well. Thanks. I think Ms. Dixie will be feeling better in the morning.

sillybunny11486 11-20-2009 08:25 PM

I dont think floating should cause a horse to be soar, unless her mouth was open too long or she got some scrapes inside the cheeks from the rasp.

7Ponies 11-20-2009 08:27 PM

Yes, that was it. She needed a lot of work done, took awhile.

sillybunny11486 11-20-2009 08:28 PM

i think you would have been better off with two visits if possible. If she had a bad experience she will likely be bad next time she has teeth rasped.

I got TMJ because my dentist kept my mouth open too long.

deineria 11-20-2009 10:03 PM

Normally you get cuts and such - and when watching it - it is no wonder, so I think, in additional to being sore from being open a long time, I think gum and mouth abrasions occur as well.