The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Mare with bathroom problems.....not for the squimish. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mare-bathroom-problems-not-squimish-4107/)

DGW1949 10-28-2007 10:04 PM

Mare with bathroom problems.....not for the squimish.

For the past 3 weeks, I've been working with a 6 YO, QH/TB(mix) mare who is the victim of neglect.
When I picked her up, she had been standing in a 30'X50' dirt pen and being fed about 2 Lbs of 10% pellets with a wafer of hay daily.
My guess is that she was/is close to 100 Lbs underweight.

Since I've had her, I phased-out the pellets and gradualy replaced that with a 12% sweet feed(which includes a vitamin/mineral package already mixed-in). She has 2 ACs of grass to graze in 24/7 and access to all the clean water that she can drink. I also give her 1/4 bale of hay a day,
She seems fine with the new diet and seems to be picking up weight. Hooves look good. Good energy. Coat looks fine. Other than her being way too skinny, nothing looks bad externaly at all.

However...........
Her stools don't look right. The consistancy is right but they are a yellowish color....not brown.
And when she urinates, it don't look right either. The color looks normal but the consistancy is all wrong. Not knowing exactly how to describe it, I'd have to say that it looks more like 30W motor oil.
And it don't spray out, it sorta just falls out(like there's not enough pressure)...... if you get my meaning.

FWIW, she is pastured with a 4 YO, gelded QH who is quite healthy, eats the same diet, has normal bathroom functions and they get along very well.
Maybe too well.
I was watching them this afternoon and just by chance, she had a bowel movement while I was there. He walked over, sniffed the pile she had left and immeadiately began eating it. :shock: .
My first thought thought was that (maybe) her digestion aint right and the gelding knew that there was still usable food in there(?).

Does anyone here have any idea what is going on with my mare?
I've had horses in the past but I've never seen anything like this. And quite frankly, I don't know what to make of it.

Thanks.
DGW