The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help with Splint boots, sport boots, bell boots, etc. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-splint-boots-sport-boots-bell-41119/)

southerncowgirl93 11-22-2009 12:33 AM

Help with Splint boots, sport boots, bell boots, etc.

So I went to a Clinton Anderson clinic today and he worked all his horses with boots. Legacy boots to be exact. He briefly explained about all the kinds of boots, but I didn't hear it all.

I was wondering what the difference between them is? I know what bell boots do, and I am just a little confused about the others. I am about to start training a new horse and decided to try CA's method, but I don't really know what kind of boots to get for it. Splint or sport? just to protect their legs if they hit themselves. And I am confused. :lol:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-P

smrobs 11-22-2009 12:39 AM

IMHO, full support boots (like the Legacy system) are more protective because they support the tendons and joint along with protecting the bone and other soft tissues from concussion. Splint boots really only protect from crossfiring with the other front hoof, they generally prevent splint bone fracture but do nothing for support of the soft tissues. I personally would go ahead and spring for some full sport boots. It is better to have the support and not need it than to need it and not have it.

southerncowgirl93 11-22-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 468682)
It is better to have the support and not need it than to need it and not have it.

That is very true. :) Thanks smrobs!

StormyBlues 11-22-2009 12:06 PM

I don't like sport boots, because the horse can become dependent on them. I personally use Woof brushing boots, they protect the leg, are easy to clean, and won't make you go broke! good luck with the new horse!

MIEventer 11-22-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

IMHO, full support boots (like the Legacy system) are more protective because they support the tendons and joint along with protecting the bone and other soft tissues from concussion. Splint boots really only protect from crossfiring with the other front hoof, they generally prevent splint bone fracture but do nothing for support of the soft tissues. I personally would go ahead and spring for some full sport boots. It is better to have the support and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Great post and I wholeheartedly agree.

sillybunny11486 11-22-2009 12:49 PM

^^ agreed with stormy. I only use boots for horses I know have conformational issues or I know for a fact need them. I put bell boots on my mare because I know she rips her shoes off. Ive only used SMBs on one horse (fronts and back) because he had hind suspensory issues, he had soars from kicking his pasterns, and his long fetlocks that needed extra support. And I rode him to just keep him in shape, not for competition. (He was a big mess.)

kitten_Val 11-22-2009 09:11 PM

Actually it depends on what you plan to do with your horse. If it's something really stressful (like reining or cutting) then yes, you really want those supportive boots. If you just plan on going on trails or ride in ring for fun - there is no point to put those on. Moreover the constant pressure they put on leg is not good for long time. I personally use splint boots to prevent the bone. I may start using SMBs when I'll start jumping, but not so sure yet.

StormyBlues 11-23-2009 02:47 PM

Forgot to say that 2 of my horses have bell boots on when they are out and when they are ridden. They enjoy ripping their shoes off and cutting the back of their feet.... sigh

PaintingMissy 11-25-2009 10:38 AM

IF your looking for more protection rather then alot of support use polo wraps. When done right they protect the leg against hits and cuts while also providing a little support. They are more time consuming to put on but they are also fairly cheap.