The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Adoption (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/adoption-4112/)

xkatex 10-29-2007 07:02 AM

Adoption

Ive come to the conclusion that it is time for me to get rid of my thoroughbred. I love him to death but no matter what I do he always turns up lame. Hes always had very very bad feet (absesses) and we live on lowerland which is consistanly wet. I figured he would be better off in an area with drier turnout and people who have tim eto tend to his feet.

I dont want to make myself sound like a neglectful horse owner. But i go to school everyday, and seeing as im in grade12 I do have alot of homework, plus school sports and such. I just figure he would be better off at a home where people have time for him. I know he would make an amazing companion horse if anyone needed one of those. He loves the little ones. He would also make an amazing show horse if his feet issues could be resolved.

The only problem is that who is going to buy a horse with feet problems? Ive been told by "unamable" people to lie. Ive had people suggest to put him on bute. But its not the way I am. I figure the people who bought him would sooner or later figure out that hes lame...then what would happen to him? I refuse to sell him at an auction...just an issue ive always had. Also I refuse to "ship him out".

After a long conversation with my trainer and such we decided maybe giving him away for free with full details of his issue is the best thing to do. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS?

I would like another horse though. One that is not high maintenance. Ive been looking at www.osas.ca for a horse as we do race standardbred and ive always grown up around them. The only thing is that the screening process is very complex. We dont have the most prestine stable and such. Im just worried I will be denied and stuff. Any ideas?

Any opinions on this would greatly be appreciated. :)

kim_angel 10-29-2007 10:26 AM

Being open and honest is the only way to be. Especially for the welfare of the horse.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with him.

Peace

country kid 10-30-2007 03:13 AM

being a high racing and eventing societay over here we see that sort of thing all the time.

the best thing to do is to advertise him as a COMPANION HORSE either very, very cheap or free.
when you have people interested then you can tell the situation, and say look if you get his feet attended to by the right person, you will have a .............and go on.

but im with you never false advertise, coz you will only get a bad rap for your self.

there is another possibility, but it usually ends up more trouble for what its worth, but that is free lease companion horse or free lease pleasure horse (light work)

hope that helps you

country kid

xkatex 10-30-2007 01:41 PM

Yes..ive talked it over with a few of my horsey friends and we decided asking for him for "cheap" or "free" is the best thing. But my biggest worry is that I will attract the "wrong" people. Does anyone have any ideas on how to aviod that situation?

Also can anyone give a guidline to what I should exactly say in the advertisement for him? Should I explain the problem or wait till someone inquires about the problem? Any help is appreciated :D

country kid 10-30-2007 05:36 PM

exapmle :

gievaway to best of homes.
pleasure horse or companion horse only, due to injury.
easy to handle no fuss,
age?
height?
gelding.
comes with....(ie rugs....or what ever)
loves the little ones, great grandpa!
valued member of the family.
no fault of his own, personal study reasons.

most people around here just do that sort of thing, that way they know there is a problem, um if you write pleasure or companion horse, you shouldnt really get the wrong people, as they would want mroe then that.

hope that gave you some sort of idea.

country kid

xkatex 10-30-2007 06:49 PM

When I say wrong people I mean "slaughter" people are "horse traders". People looking for a cheap horse. And thanks for that info! Do you have any suggestions about where I should place ads?

country kid 10-30-2007 08:44 PM

yeh most people are known in communities as 'doggers' so maybe just ask around before hand.

um seems im in a differnt country to you, so i wouldnt know what the go is where you are as to where to place ads sorry, but try the internet, just on a free advertising horse site in your local area, thats what we do.

if your giving him away or selling him like really cheap, its not really worth advertising him where you have to pay for it. so maybe some posters in saddlery stores aswell, local fodder shops, and also keep an eye out for people who are advertising for a give away companion horse, as that is sometimes the way to go. (it does happen, also a family pet)

so yeh just localy i wouldnt worry bout trying to advertise big, coz then you probably would start getting the doggers in.

country kid

qux3 11-08-2007 11:45 AM

I want to commend you on being honest and ethical in advertising this horse. Too often horse sellers (even people you thought you could trust) are anything but...

KANSAS_TWISTER 11-08-2007 11:17 PM

how old is the horse?, is there a barn that you can give him to as a compainion (sp) horse?, we have a retired hunt horse to a women once who needed one for her horse