The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Quality of Thorowgood Saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/quality-thorowgood-saddles-41122/)

Clementine 11-22-2009 01:00 AM

Quality of Thorowgood Saddles?

I am trying to find an inexpensive all-purpose saddle that is good enough quality to be safe. I found this Thorowgood saddle on Ebay, and I was wondering what, if any, kind of experiences you have had with this brand?

Thanks! :D

rocky pony 11-22-2009 01:09 AM

they're very nice-looking! I'd love to see what people say about them too.

FjordFan 11-22-2009 03:25 AM

They are very good quality for a synthetic and my saddler says better than the Wintec brand

Lobelia Overhill 11-22-2009 07:24 AM

I was going to buy a Thorowgood for my horse, they are very good quality and look like real leather. The saddlery ordered me one, but it never arrived, and I ended up buying a second hand leather saddle which has been a bit of a disaster...

Hobbitses 11-22-2009 08:27 AM

I owned one about 15 years ago and at least at that time, they were excellent. I sold it along with all my other horse stuff when I got away from horses for a while, but have regretted it ever since! Very comfortable, easy to maintain and super light-weight. One reason I liked it so much was that I felt very secure in the seat.

Polaris 11-22-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FjordFan (Post 468765)
They are very good quality for a synthetic and my saddler says better than the Wintec brand

Totally agree. While I do not personally own one, a good friend of mine does (she's at the same barn). She tried endless saddles on her horse looking for a good fit (including a Wintec) and ended up purchasing the Thorowgood.

Side by side, the Thorowgood is a better quality saddle. Very attractive saddle for a synthetic. If you're considering one, I really suggest that you give it a try. I believe she purchased hers from Dover Saddlery online. She has a changeable gullet in hers as well....a nice feature.

kitten_Val 11-22-2009 09:08 PM

I never tried one, but friend of mine owns one and she really likes it (and it fits her wide horse very nicely too).