The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Embroidery patterns? (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/embroidery-patterns-411386/)

DraftyAiresMum 05-10-2014 09:01 PM

Embroidery patterns?

Does anyone know of a website (or even a book I can order) with hand embroidery patterns on it?

I can't draw to save my life, but I am stellar at hand embroidering and wanted to embroider some red roses and such on a white button-down shirt to show in.
Posted via Mobile Device

oobiedoo 05-10-2014 11:49 PM

There used to be packs of patterns sold in stores, like a 5x7 envelope size and they were like an iron on pattern to embroider by but when you're done and wash it the ink transfer washes out. They seemed to make a lot of them from things like kitchen towels and pillow cases. You could get fruits,vegetables,flowers,animals. Bad thing about getting old is I can't remember crap about the details like the brand name. I think they sold them in craft and Wal-Mart stores, dime stores. If I can find the tub I put a bunch of old craft stuff in I think I have some, I'll let you know the name if I find them. Maybe someone else on here would remember them?
Great idea! Show shirts are so expensive!
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 05-11-2014 12:24 AM

I figure it will give me something to do at work when it's slow. I work front desk at a hotel in a small town and I do the 3pm to 11pm shift. I'm usually bored out of my mind.

I'm having trouble finding true plus size western-style shirts (NOT the slinky sparkly show shirts), so I figured I could make my own "fancy" show shirt. I know someone who sews, but she wants $100+ to make me a shirt AND I would have to buy the material. :shock:

My problem is that I've found a lot of cross stitch patterns, but I'm looking for regular embroidery.
Posted via Mobile Device

squirrelfood 05-11-2014 02:09 PM

Herrschners still sells the packages of the iron-on patterns. They do have a website.

DraftyAiresMum 05-11-2014 06:30 PM

Thanks, squirrelfood. :-)

We ended up finding a website last night (123stitch.com) and I found the perfect book of iron-on transfer patterns. Ordered it last night for $5.44, shipped. :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

Cynical25 05-11-2014 08:56 PM

Oooh, I've been wanting to try hand embroidery. Do you use a hoop or just wing it? I've totally started a Pinterest board of patterns and stitches, lol.

DraftyAiresMum 05-11-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynical25 (Post 5368538)
Oooh, I've been wanting to try hand embroidery. Do you use a hoop or just wing it? I've totally started a Pinterest board of patterns and stitches, lol.

I use a hoop or a scrolling frame, depending on what I'm working on.

I did a quilt for my mom several years ago with the names of all the kids and grandkids in the family around the perimeter, then the word "family" in various languages in the center (every other block). It ended up being 24 blocks that I embroidered. The ones with the word "family" on them were in English, Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese, and a few other languages. My parents speak Russian, my brother used to speak Vietnamese (went on a mission for our church to a heavily-Vietnamese speaking area of California), and most of us kids and grandkids speak Spanish (as does my mom).

I've also done a few horses (traced the outline, then free-handed the embroidery) and I did a name patch for a saddle pad I made my best friend for Christmas with her mare's name on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

squirrelfood 05-11-2014 09:27 PM

I embroidered an almost life-size peacock for a quilt center.

DraftyAiresMum 05-23-2014 12:14 AM

Spinning off on my own thread. :lol:

I bought pattern on 123stitch.com (thanks for the recommendation, oobiedoo!!). The one I'm going to use is two roses in the center with scrollwork/leaves stretching out to either side and a pistol on either end. I was also going to do a rose on each cuff.

I've been looking for shirts and found a nice one on backinthesaddle.com. It's red checks in a subtle seersucker material. It looks nice and cool. Do you think the embroidery would show up on it, if I did the roses in white?

This is the shirt: Dixie Red Check Shirt - Western Wear, Equestrian Inspired Clothing, Jewelry, Home Décor, Gifts

It's really difficult to find western-style shirts in my size.
Posted via Mobile Device

LemonZeus 05-23-2014 12:17 AM

Oh, you could crochet ear nets and then embroider them! How cute would that be :D